[comp.protocols.appletalk] Where can I find MacNFS?

austins@wilfer0.cd.chalmers.se (Austin Shelton) (11/09/90)

I am sure this has been asked a lot, but where can I get MacNFS?  Does
anyone have a contact addreess or telephone number?

Thanks,
	Austin Shelton

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (11/10/90)

In article <3818@chalmers.se> austins@wilfer0.cd.chalmers.se (Austin
Shelton) writes:
> I am sure this has been asked a lot, but where can I get MacNFS?  Does
> anyone have a contact addreess or telephone number?

As far as I know, there are two competing implementations.

Wollongong: 415-962-7253
InterCon:   703-450-7117

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143        Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) (11/10/90)

"MacNFS" might mean a specific package by that name, or it might mean "an NFS
client for the Macintosh".  If you mean the first, this was traditionally
available via anonymous FTP from some machine at University of Michigan
(actually the CITI group there), where it was developed in cooperation with
Apple.  The last I saw, it had only got to sort-of-working research-ware state
before Apple took the development in-house.  I heard rumors that Apple sent
betas to people a year or two ago, but it has never become a product from them.
 I think that it was withdrawn from FTP-type circulation when Apple took it
over, but I could be wrong.

If you mean the second, there are two that I know of.  One, PathWay NFS for the
Mac from the Wollongong Group, is shipping now.  Dunno the cost.  I'm using it
now, and it works fairly well.  Intercon showed their NFS client at Interop,
but I think it's not shipping yet.  Their product looked like it would do the
job, too.  I think you might get info by sending to "info@twg.com" and
"info@intercon.com" respectively; if you can't, you should be!

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

-------

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya) (11/10/90)

>I am sure this has been asked a lot, but where can I get MacNFS?  Does
>anyone have a contact addreess or telephone number?
>
>Thanks,
>	Austin Shelton

Last I remember it was still beta...This was the last number/address I had:

Wollongong Group
1129 San Antonio Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
(415) 962-7200

--moya

lefty@TWG.COM (11/10/90)

>I am sure this has been asked a lot, but where can I get MacNFS?  Does
>anyone have a contact addreess or telephone number?

If you're referring to Apple's MacNFS product, you can't get it.  It hasn't
been (and probably won't ever be) released.

If you're referring to our Pathway Client NFS product for the Macintosh,
you can get it from Wollongong.

Intercon has also announced their intention to market a similar NFS
product, but as far as I know it isn't available yet.

--
David N. Schlesinger (lefty@twg.com)
Sr. Software Engineer

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/13/90)

In article <9011091108.aa08605@Mercury.TWG.COM>, lefty@TWG.COM writes:
> Intercon has also announced their intention to market a similar NFS
> product, but as far as I know it isn't available yet.

We are in beta now, planned ship date of Dec90. And it's not similar, it's
better. :-)

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products