[comp.protocols.appletalk] Rutgers CAP/NeXT and DECstation changes...

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya) (11/02/90)

Does the Rutgers CAP distribution add the changes needed for NeXT and
DECstation support??
--moya

---
Mike Moya
Macintosh Systems and Networking
Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
moyman@ecn.purdue.edu or pur-ee!moyman

rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (11/03/90)

I haven't gotten any changes for the NeXT, but the new Rutgers CAP
distribution should work on a DECstation.

Rakesh Patel.

johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) (11/04/90)

In <Nov.2.12.43.55.1990.1234@khnphwzhn.njin.net> rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) writes:

>I haven't gotten any changes for the NeXT, but the new Rutgers CAP
>distribution should work on a DECstation.

>Rakesh Patel.

We got our DECstation 3100 running right away with the new release of
CAP/UAB.

I would like to thank all the people involved for making it available!!

Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl
Lab. of Seismics & Acoustics             Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
--

jfmjfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu (John Mansfield) (11/05/90)

In article <johan.657727130@dutnak2>, johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) writes:

> In <Nov.2.12.43.55.1990.1234@khnphwzhn.njin.net> rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) writes:
>
> >I haven't gotten any changes for the NeXT, but the new Rutgers CAP
> >distribution should work on a DECstation.
>
> >Rakesh Patel.
>
> We got our DECstation 3100 running right away with the new release of
> CAP/UAB.
>
> I would like to thank all the people involved for making it available!!
Please can someone tell me where we can get this release?
An anonymous ftp site would be best.

Thanks John Mansfield.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (11/08/90)

I receintly saw a demo of ProTerm IV: network. (I may have the name wrong.)
It allows you to run a TSR on a PC with a compatable network card, and an
application on a mac, that will run the PC.  The intent is to let a mac
window PC only applications, or shair sessions on a server etc.  It's sort
of like Timbuktu, but it's Macs and PC, not Macs&Macs.

Anyone out there using this or a similar product?  We have several PCs with
connections to remote databases, that we've been looking to make accessable
to our larger Mac network.  The developers of the database only use PCs
for this task.   I've considered SoftPC, or the OrangeMicro PC Boards.  The
problems are the cost of cards, and the number of serial ports available.

Post here, or answer direct to rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu

Thanks.

jonas@ce.chalmers.se (Jonas Olsson) (11/10/90)

In article <johan.657727130@dutnak2> johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) writes:
>In <Nov.2.12.43.55.1990.1234@khnphwzhn.njin.net> rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) writes:
>
>>I haven't gotten any changes for the NeXT, but the new Rutgers CAP
>>distribution should work on a DECstation.
>
>>Rakesh Patel.
>
>We got our DECstation 3100 running right away with the new release of
>CAP/UAB.
>
>I would like to thank all the people involved for making it available!!
>
>Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl

I have done the same, but I'm having some strange problems. When I start
the uab program everythin registers OK, but when I try to use atlook
there is no replies.

If I restart uab with -D 10 (debug level), everything works OK. As a workaround
I always start uab with -D 10 and /dev/null as log file, but I still have some
problems getting through my gatorbox.

On a sparcstation I have some similar problems, I run ru-cap2 with the
special ethernet device driver and I have never succeded In using atlook,
but atis works OK. If I start aufs, it starts up OK and I can find it from
my mac (via a KFPS-4), but when I try to use the file server it takes several
hours to load a 100k byte file. My idea is that the sparcstation for some
reason drops packets (etherstat reports that more than 10%(?) of the incoming
packets are lost, but none of the outgoing).

Does anyone have any idea what I can do with any of these systems to get
them working better.

	Any help appreciated
	Jonas Olsson
--
Jonas Olsson			Tel: +46-31-205955, +46-10-846031
email:	jonas@cd.chalmers.se,	jonas@ce.chalmers.se,

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (11/13/90)

I can't comment on the problems with UAB.  I don't use it.  But as for
the problems with native Ethertalk on a Sparcstation, we may have some
help coming.  There will be a new release of Rutgers CAP shortly.
There are some inelegancies in the way it handles ARP that didn't
affect our major applications but do cause some problems:

  atlook generally fails the first time.  If you have lots
	of appletlak bridges on the network, atlook can
	fail up to the number of times you have bridges

  macdump generally fails the first time, and may break the
	connection during use

I haven't observed any problems with aufs.  Dropped packets as shown
by etherstat are hard to be sure about.  Normally they indicate
packets sent to a port that doesn't have anybody listening on it.  I
wouldn't expect them to indicate a problem with aufs.  At one point I
had problems due to insufficient input buffer sizes, but that should
not be present in ru-cap2.  There are some parameters for aufs
controlling maximum packets sent at once.  Could you be overloading
the KFPS 4?  Try running aufs with -S 1 -R 1.

As for the new version, I'm trying to test the new version long enough
to see if there are any more subtle problems.  So far it looks pretty
solid.