[comp.protocols.appletalk] AT v.52/53 with System 6.0.7

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (11/09/90)

I don't remember the precise details, but I believe that AppleTalk version
53 crashed a Mac Plus that was running System software 6.0.5 and MacTCP on
boot-up.

I installed 6.0.7 and it crashes no longer, but now it appears that
AppleTalk 53 is not loaded at all--or not properly at any rate.

MacEnvy 2.1 reports that version 19 (the version built into the Plus ROM)
is loaded.

I can select network devices in the Chooser and use QuickMail (I suspect
with impaired performance), but when I try to print to a LaserWriter I get
a message that says an unknow system error ocurred.

Trying to print through Tops Spool gets me into a loop, in which a message
comes up that says the document could not be printed because of a system
error -1098.  As soon as I click OK, it comes up again. It's tricky to
turn TopsSpool off in the split second between iterations.

Trying to mount an AppleShare volume results in a message telling me that
it can't be mounted and that I should try later.

Version 52 of AppleTalk loads fine.

On our Mac SE AppleShare server, neither version 53 nor version 52 will
load.
MacEnvy reports version 48 as loaded.

Has anyone else run into these problems? Is there a work-around?

I am really dismayed that after more than one year, Apple has not gotten
it's act together with regard to AppleTalk version 53--or is there perhaps a newer version out now about which I have not heard anything yet and that works properly?

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143        Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (11/13/90)

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
>I don't remember the precise details, but I believe that AppleTalk version
>53 crashed a Mac Plus that was running System software 6.0.5 and MacTCP on
>boot-up.

I'm running this at work and except for FileMaker and anything else that
makes the ASPOpenSession call, everything is working fine. That call is not
implemented because of an off-by-one programming error in Apple's new version
8 XPP driver and it only affects the Plus because that is the only machine
that doesn't have the XPP driver in ROM. It is a pretty simple patch to fix
if you need it.

>I installed 6.0.7 and it crashes no longer, but now it appears that
>AppleTalk 53 is not loaded at all--or not properly at any rate.
>MacEnvy 2.1 reports that version 19 (the version built into the Plus ROM)
>is loaded.

You can't just drag AppleTalk 53 into your system folder. You have to use
the installer that came with it. In addition to adding the file to your
system folder an init has to be added to the System file. If all you do it
to put the AppleTalk file in the folder then the ROM version of the drivers
will be used.

> [Chooser, Tops Spool, and AppleShare problems]

Not sure what the problem is, but don't you just love those cryptic error
messages.

>On our Mac SE AppleShare server, neither version 53 nor version 52 will
>load. MacEnvy reports version 48 as loaded.

This is the same problem as the Plus mention above.

>I am really dismayed that after more than one year, Apple has not gotten
>it's act together with regard to AppleTalk version 53--or is there perhaps
>a newer version out now about which I have not heard anything yet and that
>works properly?

I'm am also dismayed by the number of major bugs in the AppleTalk code that
has been coming out of Apple in the last few (and future) system releases.
If they would only try testing it with FileMaker they would turn up bugs they
have introduced.

--Clay
clay@claris.com

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (11/14/90)

In article <11342@claris.com> clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) writes:
> You can't just drag AppleTalk 53 into your system folder. You have to use
> the installer that came with it.

Thank's for the reply.
I can't remember how I got it, but I didn't get an installer script with
it.
v52 didn't require the installer, or did it?
And dragging v53 into the System Folder of my Mac IIci seems to work,
at least MacEnvy reports it as loaded.