[comp.protocols.appletalk] RU-CAP: what should atlook and atlooklws return?

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/14/90)

I've just installed RU-CAP 2.0 on a stretch of ethernet without
Appletalk routers using the Mogul/4.2BSD ethertalk filter on a Sun
here, and after the aforementioned tweaking within "aarpd" of
"nis_node" and "nis_net" to take the values of "this_net" and
"this_node", I have been running aufs and lwsrv quite successfully.
The AppleShare volumes and the pseudo-LaserPrinter appear in my Mac's
chooser, and they work just fine.

However, I'd really prefer to keep my laser printer attached to the
ethernet via a Dayna EtherPrint localtalk/ethertalk converter, rather
than having it hang off one of my UNIX machines, and therein lies
my problem.  I'd like to use "papif" to stream UNIX lpd requests
over to the printer using ethertalk, but I'm having some trouble,
not the least of which is what name do I use in /etc/cap.printers.
The name of the printer attached to the EtherPrint box is
"TI MicroLaser PS1" as far as the Chooser on the Mac is concerned.
However, I can't seem to get papif to work.

I thought I'd use "atlook" or "atlooklws" to tell me what's on the
ethertalk net, and to give me an idea of what should be in the
field for /etc/cap.printers.  However, both "atlook" and "atlooklws"
simply sit there for a couple of seconds and then return nothing.
Since there are three ethertalk agents on the net right now (the Mac
IIfx, the EtherPrint box and the Sun), I'd think that "atlook" would
return something!  What are typical outputs returned by these applications?
Does anyoen know what I might be doing wrong such that these would
not be returning anything?  Where should I look next?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/15/90)

In article <4880@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>However, I can't seem to get papif to work.
>I thought I'd use "atlook" or "atlooklws" to tell me what's on the
>ethertalk net, and to give me an idea of what should be in the
>field for /etc/cap.printers.  However, both "atlook" and "atlooklws"
>simply sit there for a couple of seconds and then return nothing.
>Since there are three ethertalk agents on the net right now (the Mac
>IIfx, the EtherPrint box and the Sun), I'd think that "atlook" would
>return something!  What are typical outputs returned by these applications?
>Does anyoen know what I might be doing wrong such that these would
>not be returning anything?  Where should I look next?

This appears to be another problem with RU-CAP/Ethertalk on nets
without a router.  I suddenly realized that I *did* have a potential
Appletalk router on my network--my Cisco gateway!  I enabled Appletalk
routing on the Cisco (not that it would be routing to anywhere), *manually*
patched addresses in /etc/cap.ether.shared for the gateway and net addrs
using adb (it didn't just "come up" unfortunately).

Having done this, and then restarting all the CAP daemons, atlook and
atlooklws return everything that I'd expect.  It seems to work fine now.

I'm not sure what the answer is if you really DON'T have a router.
I haven't looked at the code to figure this out.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (11/15/90)

OK, we'll look further into routerless networks for the next CAP
release.  All of our networks have routers, and I guess nobody
had thought very seriously about the implications if there aren't
any.