[comp.protocols.appletalk] Query on LaserWriter accounting

winborne@physics.unc.edu (George Winborne) (11/14/90)

We have a FastPath4 bridging Macs and Suns on Localtalk and Ether
respectively.  We are using aufs and papif and trying to get lwsrv to work.

How can we keep track of LaserWriter usage efficiently.  Our printing is
climbing rapidly and we want to see who prints so much and maybe consider
billing for pages.  I know Unix can track serially connected printers and
papif can track the jobs it sends to our Appletalked Lasers.  Is there any
way to keep accounts on jobs sent by our Macs to Lasers just hanging off
the Localtalk.  Do we have to connect all the printers to a Unix box to
get accounting? I don't know anything about Apple's Appleshare/Interpoll
utilities.  Do any of these things have print accounting?  What about
third party or archived utilities?
I can summarize answers sent directly to me to the Net.
Thanks!

George Winborne
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
University Of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3255

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (11/16/90)

In article <1624@beguine.UUCP> winborne@physics.unc.edu (George Winborne) writes:
>We have a FastPath4 bridging Macs and Suns on Localtalk and Ether
>respectively.  We are using aufs and papif and trying to get lwsrv to work.
>
>How can we keep track of LaserWriter usage efficiently.  Our printing is

>George Winborne

We use a locally written system that uses a daemon running on a Unix machine,
a hacked lwsrv, and an init for the Macintosh. It forces everyone to give a
Unix login name and password whenever they print. The drawback is that all
files are spooled on the Unix machine (throught lwsrv) and some software
doesn't like this (PageMaker 4.0, to be exact.)
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob