[comp.protocols.appletalk] ignorant question--Phase I vs Phase II A-talk

dyer@arktouros.mit.edu (Steve Dyer) (11/09/90)

This is rather a dumb question.  I have installed Ethertalk
on a Mac IIfx from the Network Products diskette.  How do I
know whether I'm getting Appletalk Phase I or II, and how can
I *ensure* that I get Phase I?  I want to run an Ethertalk
CAP server under UNIX, and I understand that this version of
CAP knows only about Phase I.

---
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka ...!{harvard,linus,ima,m2c,rayssd}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

lefty@TWG.COM (11/09/90)

>This is rather a dumb question.  I have installed Ethertalk
>on a Mac IIfx from the Network Products diskette.  How do I
>know whether I'm getting Appletalk Phase I or II, and how can
>I *ensure* that I get Phase I?  I want to run an Ethertalk
>CAP server under UNIX, and I understand that this version of
>CAP knows only about Phase I.

The Network Installer installs Phase II as a matter of course.  To get
Phase I, you have to open the folder called "Previous Version" on the
EtherTalk Installer disk, and manually drag the stuff in there into your
system folder.  In the Network control panel, make sure that the EtherTalk
icon with the single arrowheads (Phase I) is selected, _not_ the one with
the double arrowheads--that's Phase II.

Hope this helps...

--
David N. Schlesinger (lefty@twg.com)
Sr. Software Engineer

fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (11/10/90)

I realize that the differences between EtherTalk Phase I & Phase II can be
determined from the icon; however, we are using Liason as a router to LocalTalk.

My question is how to determine if the people on LocalTalk are using Phase I or
Phase II AppleTalk.  We have always taken this for granted before, but have
recently started having problems on the network since adding the EtherTalk
users.

Thanks!
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)            Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: fc156111@seas.gwu.edu              Office of Management & Budget

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (11/15/90)

From article <2324@sparko.gwu.edu>, by fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.):
This is a test. Please ignore.

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (11/16/90)

In article <2324@sparko.gwu.edu>, fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) writes:
> I realize that the differences between EtherTalk Phase I & Phase II can be
> determined from the icon; however, we are using Liason as a router to
> LocalTalk.
>
> My question is how to determine if the people on LocalTalk are using Phase
> I or > Phase II AppleTalk.  We have always taken this for granted before,
> but have recently started having problems on the network since adding the
> EtherTalk users.

Macs on LocalTalk don't have a "Phase" unless they're acting as Routers.
A Mac running Liason is acting as a Router, and thus you have to be
running a Phase 2 version of Liason if the rest of your network is
Phase 2.

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179