[comp.protocols.appletalk] TOPS and Desktop Manager

USERGIF@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/14/90)

>Does anyone know of any incompatibilities between TOPS 3.0 and Desktop
>Manager?  My local network is running both, and they don't seem to work
>together.  If anyone else has hit this problem, is there a solution,
>or do we need to switch file transfer programs?

TOPS 3.0 does not work with Desktop Manager period.  I checked with TOPS
(or whatever their name is now) technical support and they said there is
no work around.  Either give up desktop manager or stay with TOPS 2.1.
Since I only use TOPS on rare occasions, I stayed with 2.1.

The tech support person claimed that 2.1 did not do things "the right way",
but version 3.0 does.  I guess they are in the right (for now) because
Desktop Manager is only supported by Apple for use on Appleshare servers.
How much you wanna bet TOPS 3.0 will work with System 7.0?  Zilch?
I thought so. ;-)

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

jean@biomac.univ-lyon1.fr (jean) (11/14/90)

>>Does anyone know of any incompatibilities between TOPS 3.0 and Desktop
>>Manager?  My local network is running both, and they don't seem to work
>>together.  If anyone else has hit this problem, is there a solution,
>>or do we need to switch file transfer programs?
>
>TOPS 3.0 does not work with Desktop Manager period.  I checked with TOPS
>(or whatever their name is now) technical support and they said there is
>no work around.  Either give up desktop manager or stay with TOPS 2.1.
>Since I only use TOPS on rare occasions, I stayed with 2.1.

That is strange, I have TOPS 3.0 and the Desktop Manager (2.0.1) working quietly

together on my SE/30 (4/40 with system 6.0.5)... I just changed the name of the
"TOPS" file to "aTOPS", as recommended to me by someone on the net (sorry, I
don't remember who :-). Do I miss something ?

Jean Thioulouse, Laboratoire de Biometrie, Universite Lyon-1,
69622 Villeurbanne Cedex, France. <thioulou@biom2.univ-lyon1.fr>

USERGIF@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/15/90)

>I have TOPS 3.0 and the Desktop Manager (2.0.1) working quietly
>together on my SE/30 (4/40 with system 6.0.5)... I just changed the
>name of the "TOPS" file to "aTOPS", as recommended to me by someone
>on the net

Very interesting.  So, if TOPS 3.0 is loaded before Desktop Manager
it works fine...  I'm going to give that a try.  If it works on
my IIci, then the person I talked to at TOPS tech support was full
of you know what.

cperry@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (11/15/90)

This sounds like another lesson in INIT Chem 101.  Frequently
the only thing you have to do is change the INIT load order or
the mix, and the problem is solved.  Oftentimes, the tech. support
people for any *one* of the products won't know how their
product affects others.  Or they won't be aware how a subtle change
in configuration can seriously affect other INITs/CDEVs, applications
or even the Finder itself.

That's why I always carry a copy of INIT Tracker or TattleTale around.

Chris

rfl@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Bob Loewenstein) (11/16/90)

I could never use TOPS 3.0 with DM either. I tried renaming TOPS
to aTOPS and IT WORKED.! Thanks for the info.

c60a-aj@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Charles Gousha) (11/16/90)

In article <9011151438.AA18340@haven.mitre.org> cperry@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG writes:
>This sounds like another lesson in INIT Chem 101.  Frequently
>the only thing you have to do is change the INIT load order or
>the mix, and the problem is solved...
>That's why I always carry a copy of INIT Tracker or TattleTale around.
>
>Chris

I've tried that on our machines, and they still crash out.  Our machines are
SE's and SE/30's running 6.0.5.

Whatever the case, we've stopped using Desktop Manager, since it only seems
necessary when dealing with LARGE volumes of files on an Appleshare network,
and we don't use one.  Oh well. :-<

BTW, what are INIT Tracker and Tattletale?  I haven't heard of them.
Do they actually point out conflicts, or do they just point out crashing
INIT's?
Charles Gousha                 |    "Yes, Star Trek IS a way of life"
c60a-aj@danube.berkeley.edu    |                 (myself)
All normal disclaimers apply, including some abnormal ones.