[comp.protocols.appletalk] dynamic KIP IP numbers

ronbo@nikhefk.UUCP (Ronald Boontje) (11/21/90)

We have met some  problems with NCSA Telnet 2.3 and KStar8.0, when a
Telnet client wants to obtain a dynamic IP number.
Sometimes after initiating a Telnet session, Telnet returns with the

    Couldnot obtain dyamic KIP IP number,
    you may reconfigure or quit.

After a while we have traced the problem. Actually the message is
not true, because what happens is the next:

The Telnet client sends an ATP packet with an IP request to the gateway,
which replies with an IP number.
When the telnet client obtains the IP number, it uses NBP to
register itself as that IPADDRESS, moreover it verifies that no other node
in its zone has the same IPADDRESS.
When the obtained IPADDRESS does clash it returns the message, that I have
mentioned before.
Hence in out situation when the message is returned, the node does
obtain an IP number, but the NBP register fails.

Apparently the gateway has returned an IP number, which was still in  use
by another node.
The gateway maintains a list of available IP numbers. On request it returns
an unused or a timed out IP number in the list.
Once the gateway has issued an IP number, it periodically sends echo
packets to verify that the address is still in use.

However in situations when the node will not reply on the echo,
(hence the gateway will mark the IP number as unused again),
but will still have the earlier obtained IPADDRESS NBP registered, you have
problems.

1) For instance somebody disconnects its node with an open
   TELNET session from appletalk for a period of time so that the IP
   number in the gateway will  time out.
   After a while the node will be connected again. In this situation the
   IPADDRESS will be still registered, but the IP number is timed out.
   Anyother node who obtains this IP number, will get an error message.

2) We suspect a combination of MultiFinder and a Open Telnet session,
   which might led in some situations to the mentioned problems

Who has the same problems or have suggestions to overcome these situations?
As we have a lot of Telnet users, but limited IP numbers, we still prefer
dynamic IP numbers above static IP numbers.
--
Usenet:			ronbo@nikhefk
Normal mail:		Ronald Boontje NIKHEF-K (CSG)

rsutc@fornax.UUCP (Rick Sutcliffe) (11/23/90)

In article <803@nikhefk.UUCP>, ronbo@nikhefk.UUCP (Ronald Boontje) writes:
> Sometimes after initiating a Telnet session, Telnet returns with the
>
>     Couldnot obtain dyamic KIP IP number,
>     you may reconfigure or quit.

My even more basic question is:  At what stage do you even begin this process?
Before signing on to the remote account, or earlier?  I am using a SLIP version of NCSA, and I dont know how to even get the thing started.
Rick Sutcliffe

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (11/27/90)

In article <803@nikhefk.UUCP>, ronbo@nikhefk.UUCP (Ronald Boontje) writes:
> We have met some  problems with NCSA Telnet 2.3 and KStar8.0, when a
> Telnet client wants to obtain a dynamic IP number.
>
> 2) We suspect a combination of MultiFinder and a Open Telnet session,
>    which might led in some situations to the mentioned problems

Suspect Screen Savers. They can block network activity when they cut
in.
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179