[comp.protocols.appletalk] Still Problems Was: Re: Need help with Telneting across Zones with Fastpath

jhh1@ra.MsState.Edu (Jim Harfst) (11/27/90)

OK. Here's the scoop so far.

I reconfigured the Fastpath 4 running KStar 8.0 for dynamic addressing.  I kept
one address static for Gatormail-M to run off of.  This Fastpath is also
configured as a transitional bridge because when I turn option flag 17 off,
my ethernet zone disappears. The Fastpath is located in what we'll call
zone 1 (see diagram below).

Using MacIP 4.0 with MacTCP, on a Mac IIcx in zone 2, I tried to telnet to
a host on the ethernet.  MacIP did not complain when I started it up so I assumethat it got an IP address okay.  When I choose Telnet and try to connect, I get
the error message "Host not known".

Other Observations/Facts:

   1.)  All bridges on Localtalk are Phase 2 compatable.  i.e. the Fastpath
        doesn't complain that there are phase one devices when I turn option
        flag 17 off, its just that the zone on the ethernet disappears. So,
        option flag 17 stays on.

   2.)  All machines in zone 1 CAN telnet with no problem.

   3.)  The Localtalk icon under MacTCP is set for zone1 in all machines.

   4.)  MacTCP is configured correctly.  All Macs in all zones are configured
        exactly the same.  Only the ones in zone 2 can't Telnet or FTP or
        anything.

   5.)  If I try to FTP, I get the error message "Error. MacTCP  -25???.
        Connection came up halfway then failed!"

If at first you don't suceed, try, try again!

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

                           Diagram of Network

            Localtalk               Localtalk              Ethernet
Mac IIcx-----------------Netbridge--------------Fastpath 4 ======= Host
             zone 2                  zone 1                Backbone

Jim Harfst
Mississippi State University

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (11/28/90)

In article <jhh1.659659441@ra> jhh1@ra.MsState.Edu (Jim Harfst) writes:

>             Localtalk               Localtalk              Ethernet
> Mac IIcx-----------------Netbridge--------------Fastpath 4 ======= Host
>               zone 2                  zone 1               Backbone
>
>    4.)  MacTCP is configured correctly.  All Macs in all zones are
configured
>         exactly the same.  Only the ones in zone 2 can't Telnet or FTP
 >        or anything.

This look like our setup with two exceptions.

1) We're using NCSA Telnet instead of MacIP. This shouldn't make any
difference.

2) We have the LocalTalk networks on each side of the NetBridge defined as
*one* zone. You might try changing this in Shiva's Internet Manager and
see if it makes any difference.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard