[comp.protocols.appletalk] Is lwsrv broken?

D.I.Wood@newcastle.ac.uk (Iain Wood) (11/28/90)

We are trying to set up lwsrv so that we can print from Macs to a
laser-writter II attatched to a Sun 3. Occasionaly it works, more
often we get a cryptic mail message back from the printer deamon to
the effect that "your job could not be printed" and the printer log
file on the Sun says something like:

Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored

I have not been able to reproduce the circumstances that cause it to
change from working to broken or vice-versa. In fact it seems to
change even when nothing relevant has been done to the system!

Any ideas what I might try would be much appreciated, as our only
other printing option involves climbing a lot of stairs....

		Iain

      Iain Wood          | E-mail  D.I.Wood@uk.ac.newcastle
  Newcastle University   | phone   091 222 8237

doug@wapsy.uwa.oz.au (Doug Robb) (11/28/90)

>	From: newcastle.ac.uk!shotton!ndiw@bloom-beacon.mit.edu  (Iain Wood)
>	Subject: Is lwsrv broken?

>	We are trying to set up lwsrv so that we can print from Macs to a
>	laser-writter II attatched to a Sun 3. Occasionaly it works, more
>	often we get a cryptic mail message back from the printer deamon to
>	the effect that "your job could not be printed" and the printer log
>	file on the Sun says something like:

>	Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored

Yes I've seen this before. The laserprep file must be massaged
by a program called "prepfix", I can send you a copy if you can't get
hold of it locally. Although lwsrv works well i still have a problem
when a text file is printed right after a graphics picture.
(eg print directory of mac and while the laser is processing that,
print a text file). The text file comes out backtofront and inside
out. On the other hand if I wait a minute or so after the
directory has printed and then print the text file its ok.
It seems to me the laser printer (both AstTurboLAser/PS and TI Omni)
need time to reset themselves or alternatively the procset (67)
is not right in some way. I don't know why I;m the only one
that seems to have this problem though!
doug@wapsy.psy.uwa.oz