[comp.protocols.appletalk] What is the Responder for?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/01/90)

What is the purpose/function of the Responder that's put in the
System file when you do an AppleShare client installation?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

       "If you're not a docter, you're just pants" -- Ian D., age 3 1/2

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/03/90)

In article <3513@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in
Neutral) writes:
> What is the purpose/function of the Responder that's put in the
> System file when you do an AppleShare client installation?

Responder is an INIT which NBP registers the Mac's ChooserName on the
AppleTalk network, as well as supports Apple InterPoll s/w's System
Information query packets.  These queries allow a Network Administrator
using InterPoll s/w to verify the version number of the system,
laserwriter driver and appleshare client software on each mac which has
Responder in the Sytem Folder.  ...Very handy if you don't like re-PREPing
a shared laserwriter everytime you print.

The current version is Responder 1.1.1.  I know of no incompatibilites
with any software, so it's best if you keep it in your System Folder so
your network administrator can best do his or her job.  (I had heard,
early reports that initial versions of Responder and NCSA Telnet did not
interoperate well - but nothing since NCSA Telnet 2.3 and Responder 1.1.1)

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca