[comp.protocols.appletalk] Request for SMTP mail in a DA

mazu@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Marc Mazuhelli) (11/29/90)

Hi there,

We are looking for a DA to exchange SMTP mail directly (i.e. without
QuickMail or MSMail and a gateway - I want the Mac to communicate
directly with the server, probably a POP server).  It should preferably
work with MacTCP.  Does such a DA exist?

I know of at least one program that does this, but it's an application,
not a DA.  It's MacPOP (part of SU/MAC-IP from Stanford). There are
also a few HyperCard stacks, but since a few or our users don't use
MultiFinder and don't have a lot of memory to waste with HyperCard,
I'd rather have a DA.  HyperCard is also slowwww on Mac Pluses and
SEs.

Thank you for any help you can give me in locating such a DA.
You can respond using the news or by private mail, I will summarize.

--
{  Marc Mazuhelli                   |  professeur                  }
{  internet: mazu@dmi.USherb.CA     |  Departement de math-info.   }

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.144212.1535@DMI.USherb.CA> mazu@terre.DMI.USherb.CA
(Marc Mazuhelli) writes:
> We are looking for a DA to exchange SMTP mail directly (i.e. without
> QuickMail or MSMail and a gateway - I want the Mac to communicate
> directly with the server, probably a POP server).  It should preferably
> work with MacTCP.  Does such a DA exist?
>
> I know of at least one program that does this, but it's an application,
> not a DA.  It's MacPOP (part of SU/MAC-IP from Stanford). There are
> also a few HyperCard stacks, but since a few or our users don't use
> MultiFinder and don't have a lot of memory to waste with HyperCard,
> I'd rather have a DA.  HyperCard is also slowwww on Mac Pluses and
> SEs.

It's not a DA, but the University of Illinois' Steve Dorner's Eudora SMTP
client is faster than HyperCard and the price is right.  At better mac archives everywhere...

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/03/90)

I believe the source ftp server is at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu....