[comp.protocols.appletalk] Mac <-> UNIX connectivity

RGRE@MTUS5.BITNET (12/01/90)

We have some Macs on an ethernet running MacTCP and NCSA Telnet to
communicate over our TCP/IP backbone.  We also have some SUN Sparcstations
hanging off this ethernet that we would like to use as fileservers for the
Macs.  We would like to be able to use ftp, telnet and NFS between the SUNs
and the Macs (the SUNs do have NFS on them).  I know we could do this with
a Gatorbox running GatorShare, but since the Macs are already on ethernet,
is there a (cheaper) software solution?  I believe A/UX would do it, but
it is much to expensive for just UNIX connectivity.  What about
TCP/ConnectII?  Would this work? How expensive is it for an educational
insitution?  How well does it work?  Does it do NFS?  Are there any other
software products out there?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S.  I have a vague knowledge of CAP and AUFS, I don't know if it would
      be appropriate for this purpose.  I would also be concerned about
      the issue of having to support such software locally.  Any comments?

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/04/90)

In article <90334.160805RGRE@MTUS5.BITNET>, RGRE@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
> What about
> TCP/ConnectII?  Would this work? How expensive is it for an educational
> insitution?  How well does it work?  Does it do NFS?

No, I don't think that TCP/Connect II is what you are looking for.
(However, I would suggest that you look into replacing your use of NCSA Telnet
with TCP/Connect II :-))

What you need is one of two products that are on the market currently (to
do NFS, and I am not counting GatorShare as you have already mentioned it):

1. Wollongong's MacPathWay NFS Client.  A NFS client that is controlled through
the control panel.  Contains a SNMP init, allows multiple connections to
be establish on bootup via an application (that you set as your startup),
contains a application called NetEdit that allows the editing of text files
on the sever (this is how they handle the CR-LF conversion problem), knows
about AppleDouble (but not AppleSingle), those are the major items I can
think of off hand.

2. InterCon's NFS/Share. Again a NFS client that runs on the Mac which is
controlled through the chooser instead of the control panel.  SNMP, does
CR-LF conversion on the fly (so you can use any Mac word processor), know
about AppleSingle and AppleDouble (so you can share files with your A/UX
machine), multiple mounts on startup, disk caching, multiple users can mount
the same mount point, etc...

For full information contact each company.

info@twg.com (I think)

info@intercon.com
703.709.9890 X231 (sales)

Hope that helps.  AUFS/CAP, can be a pain, but there are a fair number of people
using it so you should be able to find what you need on the net.  There are
a couple of commercial type versions, IPT has one, and Mt Xinu has one.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products