[comp.protocols.appletalk] Product Informatation

dinah@karazm.math.uh.edu (Dinah McNutt) (11/30/90)

I am interested in information on different ways to connect MACs, PCs (386
and 486 types), and UNIX systems. Functionality requirements include mail,
remote login, file sharing, file transfer, printer sharing, and net news.
I am particularly interested in software that provides all the above plus
can handle PC-PC communications well. Also, some of the systems I am dealing
with are already on a Novell or Appletalk network. (Some of the PCs and MACs
are currently standalone as well.)

I would also like information on the following:

Beam and Whiteside's PC-NFS product
Intercom's Netnews and TN3270 products
MacPathway from The Wollongong Group
Star*9

and anything else that might be available.

Thanks,

Dinah

--
Dinah McNutt         		                         Senior Staff Scientist
Technology Transfer Associates	                                 Houston, Texas

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov30.130305.20835@lavaca.uh.edu>, dinah@karazm.math.uh.edu
(Dinah McNutt) writes:
> Intercom's Netnews and TN3270 products

That's InterCon.  Not Intercom, sorry, but everyone I talk to over the phone
makes the same mistake. :-)  Sigh.

Anyway, you might want to look at the two NFS clients that just came out
for the Mac.  Wollongong has one and InterCon has one.  On the PC side of
things InterCon has a PC product that runs over AppleTalk Cards on the PC.
You also might want to consider getting information from FTP Software
(info@ftp.com I think) about their PC products, they have NFS for the PC as
well.  Sun also, of course, has a PC product called PC-NFS, has a limited
telnet and NFS, but no mail, etc..

There is a lot more to your question that what I answered, but I am sure
that others will be more than helpful in filling out what I missed.  Hope
this helps.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

geoff@bodleian.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (12/04/90)

Quoth kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (in <275A8FE8.3C5F@intercon.com>):
#Sun also, of course, has a PC product called PC-NFS, has a limited
#telnet and NFS, but no mail, etc..

Hmmm... Kurt, check your facts. Just because we unbundled email and
backup doesn't mean we don't offer these capabilities. Shall I send
you some data sheets? :-)

Geoff
-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (12/05/90)

If you are looking for Wide Area Networking using TCP/IP (ie SLIP/CSLIP/PPP),
check out the TELEBIT NetBlazer.  With InterCon and FTP Software Inc.
applications, you could connect your UNIX/MAC/DOS systems in no time!

E-mail me for more details and a complete package.  (Sorry, for the
salesy plug, but I do have all this stuff...).

Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (12/07/90)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> That's InterCon.  Not Intercom, sorry, but everyone I talk to over the phone
> makes the same mistake. :-)  Sigh.

	I don't remember who it was, but somebody once suggested that good
code should meet the telephone test -- you should be able to read your
program to somebody over the phone and have them understand it.  Perhaps
company names should be held to the same standard?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"