[comp.protocols.appletalk] Laserwriter access from a PC using Localtalk ??

mmcintos@pollux.UVic.CA (Mark McIntosh) (11/28/90)

Forgive me if I made the wrong choice of groups, but I thought the
audience might be correct.  I also suppose "there was just a discussion
of this last week" - it always happens, doesn't it :-).   I follow the
Appletalk group, but not the IBM groups ... sorry.

   I am looking for opinions on how to get an IBM PC to print on an
Apple Laserwriter Plus on Localtalk.  A person here has proposed
obtaining a TOPS Flashcard for the PC and TOPS for DOS software.  I am
not familiar enough with the DOS environment to judge the merits of
this suggestion.  I hope someone on the net can tell me their
experiences.  How widely useable would TOPS for DOS printing
capabilities be across popular word processing programs?

   So... please let me know your opinions on TOPS for DOS.  How would
you set up a PC so it could use an Apple Laserwriter on Localtalk?
Also, would the same apply for a PS/2?

Thanks,
Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.UVic.CA>
University of Victoria, Faculty of Engineering - Dean's Office
Box 3055, Victoria, BC, CANADA    \ "...the mystery of life isn't a problem to
V8W 3P6            (604) 721-8612  \    solve but a reality to experience."
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sirius!mmcintos  \ from Dune

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (12/03/90)

You don't need TOPS at all, nor its specific high speed cards.

Just buy an AppleTalk PC card from Apple. It comes with utilities
permitting both printing text files (various presentation options)
and sending PostScript data produced by word-processors.

You can even make the LaserWriter look like LPT1 on the PC. You
will need the AppleShare PC product. As his name indicates it,
it will also enable you to access AppleShare disks transparently,
if you have an AppleShare file server on your AppleTalk network.
But net drivers eat a great amount of RAM (under 100 Kb).

If you adopt the first solution, you can install the network driver
just before printing and unload it afterwards. MARK/RELEASE will do
the job perfectly.

--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

KDM101@psuvm.psu.edu (Kevin Maher) (12/06/90)

In article <7005@chorus.fr>, mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) says:

>You don't need TOPS at all, nor its specific high speed cards.
>
>Just buy an AppleTalk PC card from Apple. It comes with utilities
>permitting both printing text files (various presentation options)
>and sending PostScript data produced by word-processors.

We have used this setup here, and it works well.  In fact, I'm in the
process of setting up another setup with a Mac, a PS/2 (mod 30) attached
to a LaserWriter II via localtalk.

  |    OOO                       |                                          |
  |   O   O                SSS   |  Why do today what's due tomorrow?       |
  |   O   O  PPP   U   U  S      |                                          |
  |   O   O  P  P  U   U   SSS   |  Hey...sounds good to me!  =-)           |
  |   O   O  PPP   U   U      S  |                                          |
  |    OOO   P      UUU   SSSS   |  KDM101@PSUVM         O04@PSUVM          |
  |          P                   |  KXM@PSUARCH          kmaher@psusun01    |
   Why should I want to disclaim anything???  It only makes me look guilty!

steve@antares.anu.oz.au (Steven Ball) (12/10/90)

mmcintos@pollux.UVic.CA (Mark  McIntosh) writes:
>Forgive me if I made the wrong choice of groups, but I thought the
>audience might be correct.  I also suppose "there was just a discussion
>of this last week" - it always happens, doesn't it :-).   I follow the
>Appletalk group, but not the IBM groups ... sorry.

>   I am looking for opinions on how to get an IBM PC to print on an
>Apple Laserwriter Plus on Localtalk.  A person here has proposed
>obtaining a TOPS Flashcard for the PC and TOPS for DOS software.  I am
>not familiar enough with the DOS environment to judge the merits of
>this suggestion.  I hope someone on the net can tell me their
>experiences.  How widely useable would TOPS for DOS printing
>capabilities be across popular word processing programs?

>   So... please let me know your opinions on TOPS for DOS.  How would
>you set up a PC so it could use an Apple Laserwriter on Localtalk?
>Also, would the same apply for a PS/2?

>Thanks,
>Mark J. McIntosh <mmcintos@sirius.UVic.CA>
>University of Victoria, Faculty of Engineering - Dean's Office
>Box 3055, Victoria, BC, CANADA    \ "...the mystery of life isn't a problem to
>V8W 3P6            (604) 721-8612  \    solve but a reality to experience."
>UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sirius!mmcintos  \ from Dune

The major problem with TOPS is its hunger for memory.  I can only just make
it print with no problems with Word 5.0 (configure TOPS.DAT to the minimum
values).  If you want Windows, forget it!
Hopefully TOPS will be Windows v3.0 compatible soon... if this overcomes its
memory problems then it will be a fine product - as long as you buy lots of
extended memory.

TOPS allows LPT1, LPT2, etc to be connected to the LaserWriter, same as
AppleShare/PC - so there's no difference in functionality as far as printing
goes.  This means that any application simply sends its output to the
appropriate port and the printing s/w intercepts it and sends it to the
network printer.  NB. TOPS includes a built-in spooler, AppleShare/PC doesn't.
If you're using Windows and AppleShare/PC you will probably have to switch off
its spooler.

The major advantages of TOPS are:
	o It's a distributed file-sharing system - no need to spend mega-bucks
	  on a dedicated file-server.
	o It's very nice for sharing files with Macs.
	o It has InBox e-mail bundled with it.

Conclusions:

If you already have, or are planning to install, an AppleShare file server
(whether this is a Mac or a Unix box) then the choice is clear - buy an
Apple LocalTalk card + AppleShare/PC.

If you only ever want your PC to print then get an AppleTalk card as above.

Now, if you want your PC and Macs to share files then you've got some serious
thinking to do :-)  Macs and PCs are pretty useless without a hard disk and
these days they are usually sold with one anyway.  You could run them diskless
(ie from floppies) but the problem is squeezing a usable system + network s/w
onto a single floppy disk.

This is where TOPS is really useful.  Instead of buying a large fileserver AND
local hard disks for all your Macs/PCs you can use TOPS to make all of your
local hard disks (or some subset) available to the other machines.

Works real well for Macs, since there's no memory limitations.  But for PCs all
this neat functionality consumes memory and this is where DOS is a pain (see
above).

Final solution: don't buy PCs!  (MS-DOS: just say no!)

As far as PS/2s go I know there are Localtalk cards for them but apart from
that I have no information.
--
Steven Ball, Department of Computer Science, ANU
E-mail: steve@anucsd.anu.edu.au		Ph. (06) 2495147

mireley@horus.cem.msu.EDU (John Mireley) (12/10/90)

From article <steve.660783101@antares>, by steve@antares.anu.oz.au (Steven Ball):
> The major problem with TOPS is its hunger for memory.  I can only just make
> it print with no problems with Word 5.0 (configure TOPS.DAT to the minimum
> values).  If you want Windows, forget it!
> Hopefully TOPS will be Windows v3.0 compatible soon... if this overcomes its
> memory problems then it will be a fine product - as long as you buy lots of
> extended memory.

I won't argue that tops isn't a memory hog but it will work with Win 3.0 for
printing only.

We have been using it with Win 3.0 and WfW for a month now. It will not
run enhanced mode with our 386, but the installation instructions spell that
out.

Will the Apple printer drive work with Win 3.0 enhanced mode?

John Mireley

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (12/11/90)

In article <90339.234620KDM101@psuvm.psu.edu> KDM101@psuvm.psu.edu (Kevin Maher) writes:
>In article <7005@chorus.fr>, mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) says:
>>
>>You don't need TOPS at all, nor its specific high speed cards.
>>
>>Just buy an AppleTalk PC card from Apple. It comes with utilities
>>permitting both printing text files (various presentation options)
>>and sending PostScript data produced by word-processors.

We have used both TOPS (all previous posted comments apply,
especially re: memory) AND the Daystar LT200 AppleTalk
(LocalTalk) board.  The LT200 has onboard code for print que
management and works in Windows 3.0 and every other DOS
configuration we have tried.  There is also support for
AppleShare but it uses ~70k more RAM the the printer software
(~12k).  I am quite pleased with the LT200 - recommended.

--
   "Brilliance is typically the act of an individual, but incredible
    stupidity can usually be traced to an organization."  Jon Bentley