[comp.protocols.appletalk] NCSA/BYU Telnet version 2.3.3 available

loganj@yvax.byu.edu (12/14/90)

The BYU version of NCSA Telnet has been updated to version 2.3.3 and is
available by anonymous ftp from "bert.byu.edu" or "bert.cs.byu.edu"
(128.187.2.20) in the "NCSA_Telnet" directory.  The latest sources have
also been posted there, including source for LightSpeed C v3.01.

We also plan to make it available on "zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu" if possible.

VERSION 2.3.3 problems & improvements...

1. Problem reported by Ted Nieland of Control Data Corporation (25 Jun 1990):
   Session one:  A telnet session to a host
   Session two: A FTP client session to same host as session one.
   Start a MGET from session two.
   Switch to session one.  After the current file gets finished in session
   two, session one turns into a ftp session
   and the further requests from the MGET go to it and subsequently fail.

2. Requested improvement from Russell Owen (31 Aug 1990):
   Implement a way of opening an ftp session purely from the keyboard; either
   by bringing up the Open Session... dialog box with "ftp" already checked
   (e.g. by cmd-option-O), or by allowing some key command to toggle the
   "ftp" check box.

3. Problem reported by "PWF@vx.acs.umn.edu":
   During the option negotiation between NCSA Telnet and the Multinet server
   an '!' exclamation mark keeps on appearing before the Username: prompt.

4. FTP client "mget" function not working on Mac II FX (timing problem)
   and with connections to certain hosts.

   Fixed.

Many thanks to the folks at NCSA for their fine work, help, and cooperation.

Regards,
jim
loganj@yvax.byu.edu
loganj@byuvax.bitnet

islam@husc2.harvard.edu (Shujaat Islam) (12/15/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm                                                  Subject:  Setting up a network
Sender: islam@husc2.harvard.edu

   I am an undergraduate Computer Science student who is considering setting
 up an appletalk network connecting a number of macs in our dorm.  We are
interested in the least expensive way of doing this, and would like some sort
 of system that does not require a dedicated file server (such as TOPS).  I
 would appreciate any help and information on how to set up such a network,
 where to buy the necessary cables at the lowest prices, and other necessary
procedures.  Thanks in advance.

    Please respond to         islam1@husc9.harvard.edu

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/16/90)

What are the advantages of BYU telnet as opposed to stock NCSA?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

       "The coach has to eat baloney and french fries" -- Ian D., age 3 1/2