[comp.protocols.appletalk] Problems with Nodems on Ethernet

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire) (12/19/90)

I'll just get right to the problems, about 20-25 of our Macintosh users are
connected to Ethernet via Adaptec Nodems.  These are SCSI Ethernet devices
connected to SE/30s.  Since we have owned them the user is periodically erased
from the network and their only option is to restart to make network resources
available again (ie. the zones disappear and they are on la-la-net, they can
no longer use LaserWriters, TOPS, Timbuktu, MacIRMA LAN etc...as all these
devices are on unknown zones as far as the Mac can tell).

Our zones are configured by Liason, used to route between Ethernet and our
LocalTalk LaserWriters.  This is running on an SE/30.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?  My conclusions are that the
software provided by Adaptec is not very robust.  I come to this conclusion
because of the current limbo status of the company's product line.

HELP!!!!!  Thanks in advance!
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)            Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                 Office of Management & Budget

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (12/19/90)

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire) writes:

>I'll just get right to the problems, about 20-25 of our Macintosh users are
>connected to Ethernet via Adaptec Nodems.  These are SCSI Ethernet devices
>connected to SE/30s.  Since we have owned them the user is periodically erased

[stuff deleted]

>Does anyone know what could be the problem?  My conclusions are that the
>software provided by Adaptec is not very robust.  I come to this conclusion
>because of the current limbo status of the company's product line.

I am most interested in your last statement. We have a number of Adaptec
Nodems, and they appear to play up with excess housekeeping, slowing
them down so that they are slower than simple localtalk (which we have
in a few cases reverted to). What do you mean "limbo status"? Are
they in receivership or something?  BTW, does anyone have an Internet
address for anyone at Adaptec so we can harass them directly from
Australia? The local distributors aren't even up on localtalk, let
alone ethernet on the Mac.

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publishing & Advertising, Monash University
Melbourne, Australia - Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire) (12/19/90)

Here I am.  From what I understand the product line is being sold, who owns
it right now...?...I don't know.  This is what the people at tech support hgad
told us.

Out of about 30 Nodems total, we have had to send 10-15 back for replacements,
they just plain died.

I also have experienced this 'slow-down'.  The red lights indicating ethernet
and scsi activity flash like crazy, while the users can do nothing but wait.
Then at other times the Nodems just won't connect to the backbone.  We end up
having to reinstall the software.

What is the problem with this product?  Does anyone else in the world have
these problems with this product?  Help!!