[comp.protocols.appletalk] Problems with Nodems / Try Compatible Systems

John_Mansfield@emal.sprl.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (12/21/90)

In article <2472@sparko.gwu.edu>, waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire) writes:
> What is the problem with this product?  Does anyone else in the world have
> these problems with this product?  Help!!

I have had no experience with the Nodem, however one of the publications
did a review of Nodems, Ether+ and the NuvolinkSC. They (MacWorld or MacWeek)
 said that there wasnt much in it, but they would choose the Ether+ over the
Nodem and the Nuvolink was the same animal as the Ether+ in a different box.
Now, some people I know have had harsh words to say about Compatible Systems,
but I bought an Ether+ and have had no trouble with it.  We use it for
 Ethertalk and for TCP/IP and although it can be slow, it is better than
LocalTalk, mainly because then we dont have to rely on one of those Fastpath
monstrosities (MY opinion, not the U's).
There is a problem with these SCSI ethernet devices and CE Software's Quickmail,
at some point, if you use the SCSI ehternet box on the MailServer, both the
SCSI box and the QM Server try and grab the same interupt and the Mac hangs.
This explanation was offered by CE and they do not have a work around.
Compatible Systems did send me new software recently, but since I have moved the
 MailServer to a modular Mac with ethernet card I havent bothered trying
to see if the freezes are less common with the new stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John Mansfield.

korn@eris.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (12/24/90)

In <1990Dec21.144218.17923@engin.umich.edu>, John_Mansfield@emal.sprl.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) said:

>I have had no experience with the Nodem, however one of the publications
>did a review of Nodems, Ether+ and the NuvolinkSC. They (MacWorld or MacWeek)
> said that there wasnt much in it, but they would choose the Ether+ over the
>Nodem and the Nuvolink was the same animal as the Ether+ in a different box.
>There is a problem with these SCSI ethernet devices and CE Software's Quickmail
>at some point, if you use the SCSI ehternet box on the MailServer, both the
>SCSI box and the QM Server try and grab the same interupt and the Mac hangs.
>This explanation was offered by CE and they do not have a work around.

There was a problem with the low level SCSI manager in early System 6.0.x
versions of the OS.  It's likely still there, though I understand it's to
be fixed in 7.0.  The problem:  it's not re-entrant.  And in certain, very
very rare cases, with a heavily stressed AppleShare server multiple AFP
requests simultaneously over a SCSI ethernet connection to/from a SCSI
disk, the mac would hang; typically somewhere deep in HFS ROM code.

It wouldn't surprise me if you are seeing this problem with Quickmail.  A
heavily used e-mail server, if it schedules it's multiple e-mail accesses
in the wrong way, could hit this problem.

For this reason Apple doesn't recommend using SCSI-Ethernet connections on
AppleShare servers.

Oh, as to what "very very rare" means:  5 other macs on ethernet doing
continuous file & directory copies/creates/deletes simultaneously would
usually trigger this problem after several days.  Figuring 1 file/directory
being created/deleted each second on each mac, that works out to it
crashing after simultaneous stressing of 1,620,000 transactions.  Pretty
rare.  It didn't help that the server was a Mac Plus (vs. an SE -- the Plus
has the least impressive SCSI implementation...).

Peter
 -- Moonlighting at Nuvotech when I'm not busy reading netnews...
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@mica.Berkeley.EDU