[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacTCP on LocalTalk'ed machine

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (01/01/91)

We are reconfiguring our lab from using built-in TCP drivers (like NCSA Telnet)
to using MacTCP.  I had no problems with systems directly on the Ethernet, but
can't get it to work on machines that are on LocalTalk and then connected to
the big net via a FastPath.  I don't have any real documentation on MacTCP
since the MacTCP drivers came included in other packages (like Mathematica,
etc.).  I think I've tried most combinations of options.  System I'm trying to
get this to work on at present:

Mac II ci w/ 8Meg and Apple 2 page display running on 8.24 card
System 6.0.7 under Multifinder
Various INITs including Responder, Public Folder, etc.

Mike Paisley
Paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
Paisley@ncsumte  (BITNET)

frye@cerl.uiuc.edu (G. David Frye) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.173427.8371@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> Paisley@mte.ncsu.edu writes:
>We are reconfiguring our lab from using built-in TCP drivers (like NCSA Telnet)
>to using MacTCP.  I had no problems with systems directly on the Ethernet, but
>can't get it to work on machines that are on LocalTalk and then connected to
>the big net via a FastPath.  I don't have any real documentation on MacTCP
>since the MacTCP drivers came included in other packages (like Mathematica,
>etc.).

Remember that non-MacTCP NCSA Telnet worked in this configuration.  That may
help get you through the frustrating exercise of getting MacTCP to work.  I
had the same problem -- changed software versions, installed MacTCP, didn't
have any documentation.  You know that the hardware and the gateway software
worked before you started.  Keep it in mind.

The one key piece was knowing to configure MacTCP to be in "server" mode. It
seems intuitive to use the "dynamic" setting, but it's wrong and you'll get
inconsistent results at best.

You also need to know the address of your gateway to the outside world.  Note
that "Gateway address" is NOT the IP address of the Fastpath, but rather of
the gateway from the Ethernet LAN to the Internet.  This only applies if you
are specifying IP addresses that aren't on your LAN.

One subtlety that I didn't realize until I was told by someone at NCSA --
their Telnet program does not use the MacTCP Hosts file.  The Telnet config
file is still needed and is used to reference host names and god knows what
else.

Finally, you need to reboot the Mac after _every_ change to MacTCP.

G. David Frye
INTERNET: frye@cerl.uiuc.edu   PLATO: frye / s / cerl   PHONE: (217) 333-7439

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.214828.20984@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> frye@cerl.uiuc.edu (G.
David Frye) writes:

>In article <1990Dec31.173427.8371@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> Paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
writes:
>>We are reconfiguring our lab from using built-in TCP drivers (like NCSA
Telnet)
>>to using MacTCP.  I had no problems with systems directly on the Ethernet,
but
>>can't get it to work on machines that are on LocalTalk and then connected to
>>the big net via a FastPath.  I don't have any real documentation on MacTCP
>>since the MacTCP drivers came included in other packages (like Mathematica,
>>etc.).
>The one key piece was knowing to configure MacTCP to be in "server" mode. It
>seems intuitive to use the "dynamic" setting, but it's wrong and you'll get
>inconsistent results at best.

We have our net setup for manually entering the net numbers, but I tried
"server"
mode as well, to no avail.  I also checked a few more things.  I booted with no
INITs loaded (except MacTCP) and that didn't help.  I tried selecting LocalTalk
interface instead of EthernetTCP in the MacTCP CDEV. Finally, I checked out the
version number and am using MacTCP v1.0.  I'm not sure what to try next.

Mike Paisley (paisley@mte.ncsu.edu)
PAISLEY@NCSUMTE (BITNET)                        (919) 737-7781

mst@ms.secs.csun.edu (Mike Temkin) (01/02/91)

In article <1991Jan1.001629.15224@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) writes:
>We have our net setup for manually entering the net numbers, but I tried
>"server"
>mode as well, to no avail.  I also checked a few more things.  I booted with no
>INITs loaded (except MacTCP) and that didn't help.  I tried selecting LocalTalk
>interface instead of EthernetTCP in the MacTCP CDEV. Finally, I checked out the
>version number and am using MacTCP v1.0.  I'm not sure what to try next.
>
>Mike Paisley (paisley@mte.ncsu.edu)
>PAISLEY@NCSUMTE (BITNET)                        (919) 737-7781

First of all, what type of gateway are you using (FastPath, GatorBox, Apple
Internet Router,...)?  What is the IP address, netmask and class of the
gateway?  Is the gateway setup to do IP subnetting (subsectioning) or not?
Please give all the information you can so we know what is going on.

Thanks,
Mike.
--
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) (01/03/91)

entire setup.  I am trying to get NCSA Telnet with MacTCP drivers to run in an
environment where previously NCSA Telnet with internal drivers worked
perfectly.

Local Environment:
Mac IIci w/ 8M RAM and Apple 2 page display on 8.24 card
MacTCP version 1.0
IP number 128.109.161.42
on class B network entered as either:
   Net:32877, Subnet:161, Node:42 or Net:32877, Subnet:1289, Node:10
   Selected on separate occations either LocalTalk or Ethernet(TCP)
   connections in the MacTCP CDEV.

I also tried Net:32877,Node:41258 so that I got mask 255.255.0.0 as suggested
by David (djh@cs.mu.OZ.AU) to be necessary for v1.0 MacTCP, but it still didn't
work.

Network Environment:
Kinetics FastPath 3 running KFPS code v1.0 with subnet routing on and
option 1 (no RARP).
Network: 16 bits (128.109 = 32877)
Subnet: 11 bits (161.32 = 1289)
Thus I have reserved host numbers .32 through .63 for machines on the FastPath.
 We use explicit IP numbers, which I assign to each machine, making sure that
they are unique and fall in the proper range.

Appletalk Side                  Ethernet Side
==============                  =============
IP#:128.109.161.63              IP#:128.109.161.21
Net#: 1289                      Net#: 161
Zone: MTE-Res.Bldg.#1           Zone:Backbone161

I also have the default gateway set as 128.109.161.221 and RARP options turned
off.

Internet Environment:
Cisco Router separating 161 from rest of the campus internet.  I don't know
anything else about how it is configured, except it also routes our AppleTalk
packets just fine.

Thanks again for all of the good suggestions recieved so far.

Mike Paisley (919) 737-7781
Paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
paisley@ncsumte (BITNET)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.000106.19583@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike
Paisley) writes:
> MacTCP version 1.0

You might want to try a later version of MacTCP they are up to 1.0.1 at the
moment.

Also is any experiencing these kinds of problems with software other than
XCMD's and NCSA using MacTCP?  Such as our product, TCP/Connect II or Wollongong's?

I'm curious, becuase we haven't had any reported problems...

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) (01/04/91)

In article <278368CB.4E9F@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann)
writes:

>You might want to try a later version of MacTCP they are up to 1.0.1 at the
>moment.

Silly us (NCSU), since we have a site license, our campus computing center
thought we would automaticaly get updates.  So we're working on this one right
now.

>Also is any experiencing these kinds of problems with software other than
>XCMD's and NCSA using MacTCP?  Such as our product, TCP/Connect II or
Wollongong's?

We have a user here with TCP/Connect and it does the same thing.

>I'm curious, becuase we haven't had any reported problems...
>
>--
>Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
>703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
>703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

After more hunting and pecking, I found that the dynamic addressing is working
correctly as well.  Finally, Randy Thomas (rjt@sedist.cray.com) pointed out
that the FastPath needed to create an object with name of the IP number of the
box on the AppleTalk side and of type IPADDRESS.  I checked, and my machine was
creating an IPADDRESS object for itself, but there was no IPADDRESS object from
the FastPath.  Thus, this seems the most likely culprit. He's running gateway
code KSTAR that came with his FastPath 4.  I'm running the code that came with
my PROM upgrade (3.0), is this KSTAR?  Any ideas where to get KSTAR code that
is still compatible with a FP-3?  Thanks.

Mike Paisley     (919) 737-7781
paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET

garrett@brahms.udel.edu (Joel Garrett) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.225522.21430@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) writes:
>the FastPath.  Thus, this seems the most likely culprit. He's running gateway
>code KSTAR that came with his FastPath 4.  I'm running the code that came with
>my PROM upgrade (3.0), is this KSTAR?  Any ideas where to get KSTAR code that
>is still compatible with a FP-3?  Thanks.

There was someone out on the net that said something to the effect that there
was a way to patch MacTCP to work with non-KIP-style routers (ie KFPS-2 & 3s)
I sent a note to the guy, but never heard anything back from him.  According to
Shiva (the new keepers of FastPath technology) the only solution available is
to upgrade your boxes to KFPS-4s for $999 or run KIP if you have a Sun or other
atalkad-capable machines (does anyone know of a list of atalkad-capable systems?
We don't have any Suns on our local network (but we do have a few Iris 4Ds and
a few other equally un-BSDish machines such as HP9000s and old Iris 3130s and
we've never had any luck bringing up atalkad on any of these hosts without
what looked to be more work than we were willing to handle...)

Can anyone else shed some more light on this matter?

Thanks!

lim@slc6.INS.CWRU.Edu (Hock Koon Lim) (01/04/91)

In article <278368CB.4E9F@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:

>You might want to try a later version of MacTCP they are up to 1.0.1 at the
>moment.
>
>Also is any experiencing these kinds of problems with software other than
>XCMD's and NCSA using MacTCP?  Such as our product, TCP/Connect II or Wollongong's?
>
>I'm curious, becuase we haven't had any reported problems...

  I have came across some problems running MacTCP v1.1.  The Mac is connected
to the campus ethernet with an ethernet Interface.  MacTCP is install for
application like Stanford Mac/IP V4.0.  The address assignment for the
Mac is provided by a bootp server running CMU`s bootpd.  The MacTCP is
configured to get the address from "server".  When I start the
Mac/IP, the mac send out the  BOOTP Request to the network.  It received
a  BOOTP Reply from the server.  In the reply packet, it get its IP address
and the Gateway address which is set to the Bootp server address(this work
find if the Mac is on the LocalTalk but not on the ethernet).   I have to
enter the default gatway address in the MacTCP configuration.

   After the Mac get the BOOTP Reply, it will send out an

	ICMP C Get address mask packet.

   This packet will cause some problem on the network.  Now all the IP hosts
on the network will try to reply the Address mask request.  If the Mac is
not in the IP hosts ARP table, they will also send an ARP request packet packet
for this mac.  Every IP hosts will send the ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
 to this poor Mac.

  So my question is why the Mac has to send out the Get address mask packet?
Is they any MacTCP configuration I did wrong to cause this problem?

   The following is the Caputure file from the sniffer which so this problem.

Thanks,

Hock-Koon Lim, Information Network services
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106
(216) 368-2982        lim@ins.cwru.edu

Sniffer Network Analyzer data from 27-Dec-90 at 10:51:42, file C:\CAPTURE\MACTCP.ENC, Page 1

SUMMARY  Delta T     Destination   Source        Summary

    42    3.9915  Broadcast    Mac-Test  BOOTP Request
    43    0.0084  Mac-Test U-B   030A36  BOOTP Reply
    44    0.0012  Broadcast    Mac-Test  ICMP C Get address mask
    45    0.0004  Mac-Test Sun   09FA67  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    46    0.0004  Mac-Test Sun   02A20E  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    47    0.0001  Mac-Test Sun   02AB5C  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    48    0.0004  Mac-Test Sun   02A2AF  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    49    0.0003  Mac-Test Sun   02A1D9  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    50    0.0004  Mac-Test U-B   03091E  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    51    0.0003  Mac-Test U-B   030A2B  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    52    0.0005  Mac-Test Sun   0A04F0  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    53    0.0002  Mac-Test Sun   095BBA  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    54    0.0005  Mac-Test Sun   095BCD  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    55    0.0002  Mac-Test Sun   02974C  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    56    0.0005  Mac-Test DEC   1AFD82  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    57    0.0003  Mac-Test U-B   030AB2  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
    58    0.0006  Mac-Test U-B   0308D6  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
          delete a lot of ICMP reply for Address mask here
   189    0.0001  Broadcast    DECnet000BA4  ARP C PA=[129.22.8.87] PRO=IP
   204    0.0002  Broadcast    DECnet000BA4  ARP C PA=[129.22.8.87] PRO=IP
   205    0.0001  Broadcast    DECnet000BA4  ARP C PA=[129.22.8.87] PRO=IP
   206    0.0002  DECnet000BA4 Mac-Test  ARP R PA=[129.22.8.87] HA=00001D00DB99 PRO=IP
   207    0.0029  Broadcast    Mac-Test  ARP C PA=[129.22.8.87] PRO=IP
   208    0.0004  Mac-Test Sun   02A0C5  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
   209    0.0011  Mac-Test DECnet000BA4  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
   210    0.0019  Mac-Test DECnet002FA4  ICMP R Address mask = [255.255.0.0]
--

dd@ariel.unm.edu (Don Doerner) (01/06/91)

In article <17219@brahms.udel.edu> garrett@brahms.udel.edu (Joel Garrett)
writes:

>>the FastPath.  Thus, this seems the most
>>likely culprit. He's running gateway
>>code KSTAR that came with his FastPath 4.
>>I'm running the code that came with
>>my PROM upgrade (3.0), is this KSTAR?
>>Any ideas where to get KSTAR code that
>>is still compatible with a FP-3?  Thanks.

> There was someone out on the net that said
> something to the effect that there
> was a way to patch MacTCP to work with
> non-KIP-style routers (ie KFPS-2 & 3s)
> I sent a note to the guy, but never
> heard anything back from him.  According to
> Shiva (the new keepers of FastPath
> technology) the only solution available is
> to upgrade your boxes to KFPS-4s for $999
> or run KIP if you have a Sun or other
> atalkad-capable machines (does anyone
> know of a list of atalkad-capable systems?
> We don't have any Suns on our local network
> (but we do have a few Iris 4Ds and
> a few other equally un-BSDish machines
> such as HP9000s and old Iris 3130s and
> we've never had any luck bringing up
> atalkad on any of these hosts without
> what looked to be more work than we were
> willing to handle...)

> Can anyone else shed some more light on this matter?

Maybe.  The PROM code in all FastPaths is really silent (also robust, also
stupid) router code, with a minimum of functionality.  In particular, the
PROM code in all FastPaths will support the static addressing mode of
MacTCP, or any other piece of TCP/IP code (e.g. NCSA Telnet), *but* *will*
*not* support the server mode of MacTCP (a.k.a. the "dynamic" mode of NCSA
telnet), wherein the driver solicits an available IP address from the
Kinetics box.  The PROM code in the Kinetics box just simply does not have
the smarts to perform this function.

So, if you *must* run the PROM code for some reason, you *must* use static
addressing.

Kinetics' (now Shiva's) KSTAR code was originally based upon some code
called 'KIP' which was developed, and is still available, at Berkeley (I
think you can FTP anon to berkeley.edu and get to the right machine - hunt
around, and if you can't find it mail me, I will try to conjure up a
better location hint).  KSTAR does lots of things that KIP does not do -
DECNET encapsulation, ... ad nauseum.   However, if you can't run the
KSTAR code, I believe you can run the KIP code on FastPaths 2 and 3 (but I
am not going to bet anything I really care about on that).  And I believe
it *does* support MacTCP server style address allocation.

BTW, MacTCP dynamic address allocation is an algorithm for assigning an IP
address on the basis of the AppleTalk address for the node, and is
basically useless except in an isolated collection of Ethernetted Macs, as
far as I can figure...

Also, I believe that the single largest bug in the MacTCP 1.0.0 code was a
complete failure to support SCSI Ethernet interfaces (MacTCP 1.0.1 is only
marginally better).  Point being that I am not sure that it is imperative
for you to upgrade your MacTCP unless you anticipate using it w/ SCSI
E'net interfaces...

Anyway, that's about all I know about this situation - but I will be happy
to help answer e-mail queries.  We are running KFPS4s+KSTAR, PhoneNet,
Ethernet, MacTCP, and a small army of applications (including the
hypercard stack that I am using to respond to this posting!) successfully.
I can look up any facet of what we are doing, and let you know...

Don Doerner, Communication Manager
University of New Mexico CIRT

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) (01/08/91)

Paisley) writes:

>After more hunting and pecking, I found that the dynamic addressing is working
>correctly as well.  Finally, Randy Thomas (rjt@sedist.cray.com) pointed out
>that the FastPath needed to create an object with name of the IP number of the
>box on the AppleTalk side and of type IPADDRESS.  I checked, and my machine
was
>creating an IPADDRESS object for itself, but there was no IPADDRESS object
from
>the FastPath.  Thus, this seems the most likely culprit. He's running gateway
>code KSTAR that came with his FastPath 4.  I'm running the code that came with
>my PROM upgrade (3.0), is this KSTAR?  Any ideas where to get KSTAR code that
>is still compatible with a FP-3?  Thanks.

Last Update on this topic:  I got a call from the person at Apple who wrote
MacTCP (sorry, I forgot your name), and he confirmed that the IPADDRESS object
was required for MacTCP to work correctly. Wow, I was impressed with Apple's
service on this one.

I called Shiva to see if they had any older KSTAR code that would work on a
FP3, and they said that KSTAR 8.0, Manager 5.1 (both for FP4's) was all they
supported and noone at Novell (according to them) would actively keep any of
that stuff either.  Well, I guess its time I upgraded to a FP4, but it will
take time for me to beat a $1000 out of people for the upgrade, so if anyone
has a copy of the last KSTAR code that ran on a FP3, I'd appreciate hearing
from you.

Thanks to all the many people for helping me out with this one.

Mike Paisley     (919) 737-7781
paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya) (01/08/91)

>Last Update on this topic:  I got a call from the person at Apple who wrote
>MacTCP (sorry, I forgot your name), and he confirmed that the IPADDRESS object
>was required for MacTCP to work correctly. Wow, I was impressed with Apple's
>service on this one.

This just isn't entirely true. FastPath 1's, 2's, and 3's ran KIP (not
KSTAR) and never registered an IPADDRESS node for themselves. They
registered themselves as IPGATEWAY (FP4's running KSTAR register themselves
as IPADDRESS) ...and MacTCP ran fine (and still does...)... through them.
--moya

--Mike Moya
--Macintosh Systems and Networking
--Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
--moyman@ecn.purdue.edu or ..!pur-ee!moyman

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (01/09/91)

In article <9101081328.AA11082@aquarium.ecn.purdue.edu> moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU
(James M Moya) writes:

>>Last Update on this topic:  I got a call from the person at Apple who wrote
>>MacTCP (sorry, I forgot your name), and he confirmed that the IPADDRESS
object
>>was required for MacTCP to work correctly. Wow, I was impressed with Apple's
>>service on this one.
>>
>This just isn't entirely true. FastPath 1's, 2's, and 3's ran KIP (not
>KSTAR) and never registered an IPADDRESS node for themselves. They
>registered themselves as IPGATEWAY (FP4's running KSTAR register themselves
>as IPADDRESS) ...and MacTCP ran fine (and still does...)... through them.
>--moya
>
>--Mike Moya
>--Macintosh Systems and Networking
>--Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
>--moyman@ecn.purdue.edu or ..!pur-ee!moyman

I think GatorBoxes also register IPGATEWAY nodes, if I'm not mistaken.
However, in my case the FP3 isn't registering any IP node on the net, so it
just don't work for me.  Thanks for clarifying that.

Mike Paisley
paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET
(919) 737-7781