[comp.protocols.appletalk] Apple's New Ethernet Card

frankc@skat.usc.edu (Frank Callaham III) (01/17/91)

Has anyone noticed that under the System Requirements for the new
Apple Ethernet NB Card it states that:
	"If you are using AppleTalk network Services, the network
	 must use AppleTalk Phase 2 protocals."
	 ^^^^

Well I was disapointed enough when I found out that A/UX only
supported Phase 2, but now nets that have not "embraced" Phase 2
cannot use Apple's Card.

BTW, the card is a bus master; hence proformance gains "should" be
substantial(the card also can have up to a 2.5 Meg cache).

Anyone out there know of any reason why this card could not support
Phase 2??  Why only Phase 2???  Is Phase 1 So hard???  Anyone from
Apple want to respone???

Thanks,
Frank Callaham
University of Southern California
Microcomputer Support
frankc@skat.usc.edu
These are my opinions not USC's.  I just happen to work there...

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/17/91)

From article <29360@usc>, by frankc@skat.usc.edu (Frank Callaham III):
> Anyone out there know of any reason why this card could not support
> Phase 2??  Why only Phase 2???  Is Phase 1 So hard???  Anyone from
> Apple want to respone???

Phase 1 is under the ax.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

In article <3764@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <29360@usc>, by frankc@skat.usc.edu (Frank Callaham III):
>> Anyone out there know of any reason why this card could not support
>> Phase 2??  Why only Phase 2???  Is Phase 1 So hard???  Anyone from
>> Apple want to respone???
>
>Phase 1 is under the ax.
>--
>Paul DuBois
>dubois@primate.wisc.edu

Not on ethernet...  I was told by Apple's A/UX Support Hot line
(twice, I made him repeat it) that A/UX 2.0 only supports Phase 2.  I
could be wrong (I hope that I am) but that still doesn't give the New
Ethernet card the ability to do Phase 1 under the Mac OS.