[comp.protocols.appletalk] DAYNA EtherPrint Box

JOHNBARNES@ENH.NIST.GOV (01/15/91)

DAYNA has recently announced a producty called "EtherPrint" which purports to
provide LocalTalk to  EtherNet bridging for use with LocalTalk equipped
printers.  There has been a lot of talk on this newsgroup about ways to
share LaserWriters in a heterogenous network of PC's, UNIX boxes, and Macs.
Terms like FastPath and GatorBox keep coming up, and I am wondering if the
DAYNA product is a proper substitute for these rather pricey items.

We propose to connect a NEC LC890 Silentwriter to our Ethernet for shared access.  The net contains a SGI Iris workstation which, cliould, in a pinch be used
as a server.  The DAYNA box might be better solution in some ways.

Please e-mail summaries of experience, opinions, are advice to
JOHNBARNES@ENH.NIST.GOV or JOHN@POLY1.NIST.Gov

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/15/91)

In article <D4CF4514767F00015F@ENH.NIST.GOV> JOHNBARNES@ENH.NIST.GOV writes:
>DAYNA has recently announced a producty called "EtherPrint" which purports to
>provide LocalTalk to  EtherNet bridging for use with LocalTalk equipped
>printers.  There has been a lot of talk on this newsgroup about ways to
>share LaserWriters in a heterogenous network of PC's, UNIX boxes, and Macs.
>Terms like FastPath and GatorBox keep coming up, and I am wondering if the
>DAYNA product is a proper substitute for these rather pricey items.

The EtherPrint box works fine with RU-CAP using the "papif" utility
plus TransScript.  I'm running CAP on a Sun SLC and share a TI Microlaser PS
with a Mac IIfx.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

steve@antares.anu.oz.au (Steven Ball) (01/18/91)

JOHNBARNES@ENH.NIST.GOV writes:
>DAYNA has recently announced a producty called "EtherPrint" which purports to
>provide LocalTalk to  EtherNet bridging for use with LocalTalk equipped
>printers.  There has been a lot of talk on this newsgroup about ways to
>share LaserWriters in a heterogenous network of PC's, UNIX boxes, and Macs.
>Terms like FastPath and GatorBox keep coming up, and I am wondering if the
>DAYNA product is a proper substitute for these rather pricey items.

While I haven't actually seen an EtherPrint device from what I gather the
EtherPrint connects a _single_ LaserWriter to the Ethernet.  I don't know
whether it is a real, direct connection for the printer or whether the
EtherTalk packets are feed into the LaserWriter's Localtalk port (sort of
a mini-gateway).  The only protocol conversion might be EtherTalk to AppleTalk.
The only higher-level protocol being used here is PAP.

Devices such as the Webster MultiPort Gateway (a fine Australian product :-),
Kinetics FastPath, GatorBox, etc, are general-pupose LocalTalk-to-Ethernet
gateways performing various protocol conversions at various levels,
eg. AppleTalk<->EtherTalk, DDP<->KIP, AppleTalk<->DECnet and at higher
levels AppleShare<->NFS.  These devices allow several LocalTalk devices to
be `connected' to the Ethernet, ie an entire LocalTalk network can be
internetworked with the Ethernet.

So, is an EtherPrint a substitute for a MultiPort Gateway/KBox/GatorBox?
The answer is no.

A typical situation in which you would use EtherPrint devices is where all
of your computers (Unix boxes, Macs, PCs) are on Ethernet.  In this case
there is no point in introducing LocalTalk cabling and gateways.

Now, most sites that I've seen with Macintoshes have LocalTalk networks since
LocalTalk is built into every Mac and its fairly expensive (and not always
necessary) to drop an Ethernet card in a Mac.  In this case put your printer
on the LocalTalk and buy a MultiPort Gateway.

However, if your site is mostly PCs then an Ethernet card is not much more
money than a LocalTalk board so you may as well put Ethernet in your PCs.
In this case buy an EtherPrint.

Two caveats:  a) Your particular site may (will) change the story.
                 Eg. You have Macs w/- LocalTalk network & gateway, but the
                 printer is to be situated nowhere near LocalTalk cabling
                 but handy to the Ethernet... in this case you might go with
                 EtherPrint.

              b) X EtherPrints cost about the same as a gateway.
                 I think X = 4 at the moment.  You can connect lots of printers
                 to a single gateway, so if you have X + 1 (5) or more
                 printers then it is more cost-effective to buy a gateway.
                 (There has already been a discussion on the cost-effectiveness
                 of this soln... so no flames/repeat discussions please! :-)

>We propose to connect a NEC LC890 Silentwriter to our Ethernet for shared
>access.  The net contains a SGI Iris workstation which, cliould, in a pinch
>be used
>as a server.  The DAYNA box might be better solution in some ways.

Of course another solution is to hang the printer off the Iris via a serial
line and use CAP to spool to it.

>Please e-mail summaries of experience, opinions, are advice to
>JOHNBARNES@ENH.NIST.GOV or JOHN@POLY1.NIST.Gov
--
Steven Ball, Department of Computer Science, ANU
E-mail: steve@anucsd.anu.edu.au		Ph. (06) 2495147