[comp.protocols.appletalk] changing type of PS printer

dbraun@i50s7.ira.uka.de (Dieter Braun) (01/23/91)

normally every printer on my appletalk network has the type
LaserWriter. Is there a possibility to change this type, to hide
the printer for the apple users.

are there other possibilities to hide a printer for the Mac's, as I
want to give acces only to the unix (CAP) users.

    __//_
  ./_//_/.

dieter braun

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (01/24/91)

In article <91.023.11:05:17@ira.uka.de> dbraun@i50s7.ira.uka.de (Dieter Braun) writes:

> normally every printer on my appletalk network has the type
> LaserWriter. Is there a possibility to change this type, to hide
> the printer for the apple users.
>
> are there other possibilities to hide a printer for the Mac's, as I
> want to give acces only to the unix (CAP) users.
>
> dieter braun

Here is postscript code that you need. Choose the printer and use
SendPs or similar program to send it to the printer:

-----------
%!
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
(PrinterName:Newtype) setprintername
end

PrinterName : the name of the printer
NewType: the new type that you would like to change to.

Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University