[comp.protocols.appletalk] Phonenet with RJ45 ?

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.155318.23992@netnews.whoi.edu> suef@lillie.mbl.edu (Susan
Fisher) writes:

>I currently have a network wiring scheme where each home run
>of 4 twisted pairs terminates onto an RJ45 patch panel. I
>currently use these to cross patch to a 10bT ethernet concentrator,
>and a terminal server, and it works fine.
>
>I now  want to set up a second patch panel which will be a
>phonenet appletalk, then cross-patch between these.
>
>My problem is that the only patch panels I've seen for
>appletalk are RJ11. Does anyone know of an RJ45 patch panel for
>phonenet? If so, where did you get it?
>
>If not, does anyone know what the pinouts
>for the cross-patch cords between an RJ45
>plug and an RJ11 plug should be to make the appletalk work?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Sue-

Can't speak to the source of RJ45 patch panels specifically for phonenet, but
our building is with RJ45 boxes in the offices and patch panels in the closet.
We're running a passive star topology and I just connected 9 of
the connectors in the patch panel together to get the star.  In the offices, we
use phonenet connectors from the Macs to the RJ45 wall plate and just PLUG THEM
IN.  Admittedly, the RJ11's fit a little loose in the RJ45 wall plates, but in
over a year, we haven't had connector problems.
Hope this helps.

Mike Paisley
Paisley@mte.ncsu.edu
PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET  (919) 737-7781