[comp.protocols.appletalk] Atalkad: ZIP table too large

pjd@cs.brown.edu (Peter J. DiCamillo) (01/25/91)

We have a network consisting of over 20 FastPath 4 gateways which we con-
figure using atalkad.  The gateways have version 4.1 ROMs and run K-Star
8.0. The version of atalkad is from the 6/88 distribution of KIP.  After
adding the most recent new zone, atalkad generated the message "buildzones:
ZIP table size 512 approaching maximum of 512".  It is evident from the
source code for atalkad that when we add the next zone we will get the
messages "buildzones: ZIP table too large" and "buildzones: don't worry
if you are using a KIP later than 1/88".  I have two questions about this:

1) Does K-Star 8.0 qualify as "a KIP later than 1/88"?

2) If not, what options do I have for supporting more zones?

Peter DiCamillo
cmsmaint@brownvm.brown.edu

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (01/26/91)

In article <62474@brunix.UUCP> pjd@cs.brown.edu (Peter J. DiCamillo)
writes:
> We have a network consisting of over 20 FastPath 4 gateways which we con-
> figure using atalkad.  The gateways have version 4.1 ROMs and run K-Star
> 8.0. The version of atalkad is from the 6/88 distribution of KIP.  After
> adding the most recent new zone, atalkad generated the message
"buildzones:
> ZIP table size 512 approaching maximum of 512".  It is evident from the
> source code for atalkad that when we add the next zone we will get the
> messages "buildzones: ZIP table too large" and "buildzones: don't worry
> if you are using a KIP later than 1/88".  I have two questions about
this:

> 1) Does K-Star 8.0 qualify as "a KIP later than 1/88"?
>
> 2) If not, what options do I have for supporting more zones?

Peter,

I've wondered about this too.  My understanding is that when a FastPath
boots it will initially obtain the first 512 bytes worth of zone
information from atalkad, and then it will issue additional queries to
atalkad to find the zone names for the remaining nets.  That's how its
supposed to work, anyway.  Let us know what happens!  I'm going to be
reaching that limit someday myself!

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University