[comp.protocols.appletalk] ATP2 bridging

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (01/23/91)

In article <48379@apple.Apple.COM> hayes@Apple.COM (Jim Hayes) writes:
>You cannot easily BRIDGE Phase II over FDDI...  That's our fault not the
>bridge vendor's.
>
>[SHORT and LONG STORIES omitted...]
>
>CONCLUSION:
>
>Bridge manufacturers should agree on a way to correctly recognize this
>packet and reconstitute it on the other end.  You can tell a Phase I
>AARP from a Phase II AARP by looking inside the packet.  The network
>number will always be zero in Phase I, and always non-zero in phase
>II.

BEEEEEEP!!!  Wrong answer!  Next contestant, please!    :^)

(Let me get this straight.  Apple broke it.  But everyone else (the
bridge guys) should have to fix it!?  Has Jim Hayes, a refreshing
breath of reality from Apple on the net, been kidnapped by Apple
Marketroids and beaten into submission on the company line!?  Don't
touch that News Reader dial!  Enquiring minds need to know!)

>I don't think there is an easy way to "fix" the Phase II spec. in this
>regard.

True enough.  It's always better to do it right the first time.  :^)

But I'd rather Apple fix this AARP kludge.  Even if it means swallowing
another set of router upgrades! That's better IMHO than going through
special-casing every out-of-spec anomaly on every protocol we have
to "support" on every piece of network hardware, especially on bridges
which are supposed to be "transport independent".  I thought that's
why we (the vendors & the customers) subscribe to standards anyhow?
  :^)  :^)

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

/* The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to
   choose from */

jqj@duff.uoregon.edu (JQ Johnson) (01/24/91)

Ben Schmidt writes:
>BEEEEEEP!!!  Wrong answer!  Next contestant, please!    :^)
>I'd rather Apple fix this AARP kludge.  Even if it means swallowing
>another set of router upgrades!

I agree with Ben, of course.  After all, I think I was the first poster to
say on the net that we'd actually tried it and that Phase II Appletalk was
*broken* through FDDI bridges :-).  But it isn't as easy as just changing
routers.  All EtherTalk macs need to be upgraded since existing Phase II
Macs won't recognize AARP packets that have been munged by bridges.
Luckily, there IS a reasonable upgrade path.  Apple should release a new
version of the Phase II EtherTalk drivers that recognize all of the
following as Phase II AARP:

a.	802.3/SNAP/AARP with SNAP vendor ID=0 *and* network != 0
b.	Ethernet (i.e. non 802.3) AARPs with network != 0
c.	802.3/SNAP/AARP with SNAP vendor ID=0x080007

This interim release would continue to generate old-format Phase II AARPs.
FDDItalk drivers would only need to recognize a and c, of course.  Any
Phase I FDDItalk driver (I don't think such things exist) would have to be
modified to recognize only 802.2/SNAP/AARP with vendor ID=0 *and* network
== 0.

Macs with this driver would then be able to see the other side of a
bridged network, even if their correspondent generated old-format
Phase II AARPs and the bridge translated them into Ethernet packets
of type b.

After a sufficient period, another release of the Phase II EtherTalk drivers would change the format of the *generated* AARPs to use format c
above.

The result:
    FROM\TO		current driver	interim driver	final driver
    current driver	no bridge	works		works
    interim driver	no bridge	works		works
    final driver	does not work	works		works

I.e. "interim drivers" would interoperate with the current driver, but
two interim drivers could see each other across an FDDI bridge.  Having
drivers in the field that worked with the proper format would then allow
generation of the proper format at a later date.

JQ Johnson
Director of Network Services		Internet: jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu
University of Oregon			voice:	(503) 346-4394
250E Computing Center			BITNET: jqj@oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-1212			fax: (503) 346-4397

hayes@Apple.COM (Jim Hayes) (01/24/91)

JQ Johnson and Ben Schmidt (along with others) say the Apple should fix
the Phase II AARP problem, not bridge manufacturers.

JQ writes:
>I agree with Ben, of course.  After all, I think I was the first poster to
>say on the net that we'd actually tried it and that Phase II Appletalk was
>*broken* through FDDI bridges :-).  But it isn't as easy as just changing
>routers.

JQ Then goes on to explain how Apple could upgrade the EtherTalk
drivers to do AARP properly, etc.  And in fact it is a reasonable
solution to the problem as it applies to Apple equipment.

But what about Shiva? Cisco? NRC? The MultiGate folks? NetWay?
Wellfleet?  AT&T? Northern Telecom? Cayman? IPT? Sony? Sequent? GO? etc.?

If Apple updates its AARP code, the above folks (plus many many more)
must also update their code.   At this point your might as well call it
Phase II++ or Phase II.1.

Since this whole issue really started with the advent of FDDI bridges
(relatively new) and the problem can be corrected in the bridges by
testing two bytes for zero, why don't FDDI bridge vendors implement the
correction?  To me this is a selling point.  As a network manager, I
perform a few FCO's to my bridges in the form of a ROM change or some
new PALs or microcode and I'm done.

I'm not trying to defend Apple (sometimes an uphill battle) and my
views really don't reflect Apple's (because they have not taken a stand
on this issue), but this solution is a win for people wanting to bridge
Phase II over FDDI:

	* Little down time fully under the control of network mangement.
	* No user software changes.
	* $$$ Savings in terms of all the user upgrades that didn't have to
	  be done and the down time that didn't occur because of it.

I dunno, maybe I have been kidnapped by Marketing-- but don't let that
stop the discussion.  I am feeding the *problem* back into product
developement/marketing and not my personal views regarding the solution.

--
Jim Hayes, Network Manager (I manage the hardware, not the network group)
Engineering Network Services, Apple Computer Inc.

Inet: hayes@apple.com		 UUCP: {amdcad|decwrl|ames}!apple!hayes

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) (01/25/91)

Regarding the suddenly revived bridging-AT2-over-FDDI controversy, I offer two
comments:

1.  Anyone considering the relative difficulty of implementing JQ Johnson's
solution (two revs of drivers on zillions of machines whose users can't
possibly understand the problem) versus Jim Hayes's solution (a rather modest
hack on a small number of bridges) would have to agree that this is one case
where justice (ie, Apple should fix it, because they broke it) just isn't
practical.

2.  As I noted when this first came up last June, fixing AT2 AARPs is only one
more small hack in a vast swamp of obscure, nasty kludges that designers of
FDDI-Ethernet bridges (or any other heterogeneous-LAN bridges) will have to do
to make this fundamentally wrong idea saleable.  My expectation is that
eventually they (or their customers) will give up and use routers for this
purpose instead.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

-------

Robert Elz writes:

> my original 1042 packets are going to appear
> on that far ethernet in rfc984 format (ie: standard IP over ethernet),
> which doesn't sound much like as if the packets are being "bridged",
> I'd describe it as "mangled".

Well, the justification from the IP world's point of view is in Host
Requirements (RFC-1122), which says that IP hosts MAY choose to send and
receive RFC-1042 frames on Ethernet, but MUST receive RFC-984 properly.  Which
is to say, RFC-1042 is doomed to not be used, on Ethernets.

> the MTU of FDDI is much larger than ethernet
> or these "bridges" start fragmenting packets as they're sent onto
> ethernet.

I dimly recall hearing that some bridge vendor was proposing to do IP
fragmentation in the bridge, which truly boggles the mind.  Otherwise, I think
the only answer is "the host has to figure out how to do the right thing," ie
use the right frame length for the right destination.

> lets condemn these bridges to a long and lingering death

Or maybe even short and painless, like some wars are supposed to be . . .

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

-------

jqj@duff.uoregon.edu (JQ Johnson) (01/26/91)

Robert Elz writes:
>It seems to me that the FDDI bridge vendors are taking obscene liberties
>with ethernet packets - and won't only be breaking phase 2 appletalk,
>but also anyone using RFC1042 format IP packets as well.

As Bob Morgan notes, the bridge vendors' algorithm for "transparent"
bridging of Ethernet frames onto 802.x media was designed PRECISELY to
allow RFC1042 (and RFC1103) interoperation.  That's about the only thing
it's good for.

Also as Bob notes, the expectation is that hosts will figure out a
reasonable MTU.  For Host->Ether<->FDDI<->Ether<-Host there is obviously
no problem.  For IP hosts directly connected to an FDDI network, the
expectation is, I think, that they will use the Ethernet MTU rather than
the larger FDDI MTU at least until bridges support the new MTU Discovery
mechanisms (which opens up a whole 'nother) can of worms since it means
that bridges have to be even more like IP routers (what's next?
Decrementing TTL?).  It should be noted that there is currently *no*
standardization effort being devoted to such semi-routers.

Note that this set of problems is present in any heterogenous transparent
bridge, e.g. in Ethernet to token ring.  What's really troubling is
that they *almost* work, which makes it more likely that the gullible will buy them only to be disappointed later.

Bob argues that the realities of the situation dictate that DEC and other
mixed-media transparent bridge vendors should modify their "bridges" to
support Appletalk II.  He's right.  But they may not; Bob and I have been
unsuccessfully trying to convince the bridge vendors to make the change
ever since he tried one of those bridges and found that in fact it didn't
work with Phase II.  Just as there is an installed Phase II base, there is
now an investment in these bridges.  At least in the DEC case, the
proposed modification would probably have to change the implementation in
2901 bitslice.  It's not as easy as just sending out a new software
release!  That's why I believe that we as users should be beating on both
the bridge vendors AND Apple to make changes that will let things work a
bit better.

Bottom line:  I think we all agree that heterogenous bridges are a real
problem, particularly in complex environments, and most particularly in
Appletalk Phase II environments.

It's probably time to move this discussion off comp.protocols.appletalk.