[comp.protocols.appletalk] X-Windows for the Macintosh

sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr p freeman) (01/16/91)

I am after some info on software that gives X-Windows capability for the
Macintosh.  I understand that there is a package called MacX.  What else is
available?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Paul Freeman
Monash University
MELBOURNE
AUSTRLAIA

Email: sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

siri@otc.otca.oz (Siri Hewa) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan15.233148.28852@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:

>I am after some info on software that gives X-Windows capability for the
>Macintosh.  I understand that there is a package called MacX.  What else is
>available?
>

>Paul Freeman
>Monash University
>MELBOURNE
>AUSTRLAIA

I have installed MacX from apple on my IIfx,with ethernet. It seems ok.But if
you are used to Sun systems,it might take you for while to get used to.As
x-windows need three button mouse,mac one button mouse might drive you bit
crazy.
I use sun system to log into.

Siri Hewa.
|||OTC||
R&D Visual Communications
siri@otc.otca.oz.au

Sundar_Prasad@mtsg.ubc.ca (Sundar) (01/18/91)

Hello Siri,
I tried to get to you by e-mail, but our machines here just can't seem to
find a route to your zone. I noticed some days ago that you had mentioned
that though the RasterOps 364 card was a good buy, you wouldn't recommend
it for serious work as compared to the other boards you mentioned. Are
there any specific reasons for that observation ? I would like to know
because we are about to purchase a 364 card for 'serious' research and any
hands-on info about that card will be very useful. Thanks in advance.

Sundar_Prasad@mtsg.ubc.ca  <Internet>
userffa3@ubcmtsg           <Bitnet>
Civil Engineering
UBC, Vancouver V6T 1W5
CANADA                     <Snailnet>

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (01/18/91)

In article <2177@otc.otca.oz>, siri@otc (Siri Hewa) writes:

>I have installed MacX from apple on my IIfx,with ethernet. It seems ok.But if
>you are used to Sun systems,it might take you for while to get used to.As
>x-windows need three button mouse,mac one button mouse might drive you bit
>crazy.
>I use sun system to log into.

I've had great success with the Advanced Gravis three-button mouse.
In fact, my Apple mouse is now stuffed somewhere dark, and I use this
logitech mouse all the time.

anders

kris@cc.ic.ac.uk (K. Hampel Ext 6918 Supvsr D.Vvedensky) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan15.233148.28852@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:

>I am after some info on software that gives X-Windows capability for the
>Macintosh.  I understand that there is a package called MacX.  What else is
>available?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul Freeman
>Monash University
>MELBOURNE
>AUSTRLAIA
>
>Email: sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

I tried to mail you before but the ukc mail gateway seems to enjoy bouncing
our mail...

We have been using a package called eXodus (v2.1) here. It is a nearly complete
X11r4 server package for the mac and is fairly good at what it does. However,
we've decided to try out MacX (v1.1) since eXodus is a little lacking:- not
complete X11r4 (had they included the SHAPE extension I would never have
noticed :-) and the security is awful - you can either get the server to prompt
you to confirm every connection, or simply allow every connection. eXodus is
from White Pine in the states. Also speed is poor, I suggest you do not use it
for more than black & white work, I do not know how an accelerator would affect
things. A nice feature is the ability to have several virtually sized screens,
though we do not really need that here (we have been using IIci's with A3
screens).

Hope that helps...

Kris Hampel

Solid State Theory Group, Blackett Laboratory.
Prince Consort Road, London, SW7 2BZ, England.
==========> Kris @ uk.ac.ic.ph.sst <==========
--

Kris Hampel,	Solid State Theory Group, Physics, Imperial College.
		=====> kris@sst.ph.ic.ac.uk <=====

garyf@headroom.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan15.233148.28852@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>,
sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:

> I am after some info on software that gives X-Windows capability for
the
> Macintosh.  I understand that there is a package called MacX.  What
else is
> available?

eXodus from White Pine is an Excellent product.  They offer very good
support, and have worked hard to mac eXodus the perfect X-windows
product for Mac users!

> Thanks in advance

You're quite welcome.

> Regards,
>
> Paul Freeman
> Monash University
> MELBOURNE
> AUSTRLAIA
>
> Email: sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

--
Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of
Illinois
Internet: garyf@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya) (01/19/91)

The lastest Beta version of MacX I have is quite nice (about a 20% increase
of speed from the current production version). I do not have the latest
version of eXodus...
--moya

--Mike Moya
--Macintosh Systems and Networking
--Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
--moyman@ecn.purdue.edu or ..!pur-ee!moyman

sandra@digigw.digital.co.jp (Sandra Ishida) (01/28/91)

> eXodus from White Pine is an Excellent product.  They offer very good
> support, and have worked hard to mac eXodus the perfect X-windows
> product for Mac users!

We've been using eXodus for the past year and find it useable, but it
has an irritating Max. 7-window limit.  If there's a way around this,
I would love to hear!
	Sandra Ishida
	Digital Electronics
	8-2-52 Nanko-Higashi