[comp.protocols.appletalk] Looking for serial port server

daniel@nstn.ns.ca (Daniel MacKay) (01/31/91)

Hello!

I would like to economically put three serial devices on the network;
a non-Appletalk ImageWriter, a non-appletalk DeskWriter, and a modem-
and maybe something else, who knows.  The customer would rather not
buy or upgrade networked devices- the Imagewriter & DeskWriter could
be Localtalk'd and the modem could be Shiva NetSerialled, worst case.

I had spec'd a product that had a Localtalk port and four serial ports,
and came with a chooser document thing to make your favourite driver
think it was talking to the modem port, when it was in fact using one
of the four ports on this box somewhere on the network.  I set up
one of these years ago, and recall it working rather well, and being a
good value -- but I've forgotten the manufacturer, _and_ who I set it
up for!

I _thought_ was from Shiva, but turns out not to be, and then discovered
that Avalon used to make such a thing, but doesn't market it any more
in North America- it will be back sometime, but the marketing guy
didn't know when.

Does anyone know of such a thing that's real-ware?  Any clues are most
welcome.

adTHANKSvance!  -dan
--
	Daniel MacKay				daniel@nstn.ns.ca

infocenter@urz.unibas.ch (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan31.020822.5095@nstn.ns.ca>, daniel@nstn.ns.ca (Daniel MacKay) writes:

> I would like to economically put three serial devices on the network;

> Does anyone know of such a thing that's real-ware?  Any clues are most
> welcome.
> 	Daniel MacKay				daniel@nstn.ns.ca

I know about two products:

1. MultiTalk 2   from   P-Ingenierie
2. C-Server      from   Solano Electronics

I recently installed MultiTalk in our network and it seems to work (not a lot
of experience yet). It shows up as an icon in the Chooser and you can configure
each port.

I myself would be interested in some information about C-Server:

1. does it work the same way as MultiTalk ?
2. where can I get it for a decent price (I would prefer one of the bigger
   mail order warehouses)?
   The price for MultiTalk here in Switzerland is quite high (>1000 bucks)!

*  Universitas Basiliensis                                       InfoCenter  *