[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk for VMS 2.1

peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu (01/25/91)

Anyone using Appletalk for VMS 2.1?  It is the Phase II version.
This is along the Phase I, Phase II discussion...
	I'm running ATKVMS 2.1 on my VAXstation with no problems.  It provides
print serving and file sharing (using AlisaShare,Print) on our Phase II
network.  My problem is that our network managers are complaining that their
network monitors show my VAXstation as containing a Phase I network.
	And I think they are right...

	Combing through the installation again, I can see no way of making my
VAXstation Phase II inside.  For those curious, ATKVMS 2.1 creates a bridge
between the VAXstation and the Apple internet.  In doing this it creates an
internal "virtual" network.  There is a setup file which specifies the zone
numbers on both sides of the bridge.  The strange thing is that I give the
virtual network a single number (as though it were a Phase I network), and I
specify the outside zone with a Phase II extended network range.  This is
what is  required by the installation (I've tried faking it out).

To quote the manual, " The virtual Appletalk network is a non-extended network
[I read this to mean Phase I] and is assigned a single network number and zone
name."

Then Why is ATKVMS purported to be Phase II?  Has a later version come out that
solves this?  It seems to have one foot on each side of the road.
-----------
James Peregrino
Programer/Analyst
Harvard Business School
jperegrino@hbsstg.harvard.edu
peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (01/26/91)

No, it's Phase I.  AppleTalk for VMS 3.0 is Phase II.

/Matt

---
Matt Kingman - Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc. - Westboro, MA 01581
Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself.....

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (01/26/91)

In article <148@pacvax.UUCP> matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) writes:

> No, it's Phase I.  AppleTalk for VMS 3.0 is Phase II.

Sorry Matt, AppleTalk for VMS 2.1 is AppleTalk Phase 2, at least
externally on the Ethernet. In other words, the packet are 802.3, not
Ethernet.  The virtual network is a non-extended AppleTalk Phase 2 network
which means that you can not have a network range or multiple zones per
network. Other than this, I do not know much about AppleTalk for VMS,
thank God!!

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (01/28/91)

In article <48500@apple.Apple.COM> winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott
Winders) writes:
> > No, it's Phase I.  AppleTalk for VMS 3.0 is Phase II.
>
> Sorry Matt, AppleTalk for VMS 2.1 is AppleTalk Phase 2, at least ...
[stuff deleted]

Oops, sorry.  Personally, I've never touched the stuff.  I was just going
on what someone here told me. ;-(

/Matt
---

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Jan24.173748.1@hulaw1.harvard.edu>, peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:
> Anyone using Appletalk for VMS 2.1?  It is the Phase II version.
> This is along the Phase I, Phase II discussion...
> 	I'm running ATKVMS 2.1 on my VAXstation with no problems...
>
> 	Combing through the installation again, I can see no way of making my
> VAXstation Phase II inside.
>
> To quote the manual, " The virtual Appletalk network is a non-extended network
> [I read this to mean Phase I]

Wrong!

> and is assigned a single network number and zone name."

This is perfectly legal. With AppleTalk Phase 2 (not "II") you have
Non-extended and Extended networks. LocalTalk is non-extended.
EtherTalk Phase 2 is Extended. So is TokenTalk.

Dec's "Internal" network can be whatever they want it to be.
Non-extended is far more sensible (and easier to implement). Why
would you want more than 254 different router processes inside your
VAX (requiring a network range)? Likewise, having multiple Zones
INSIDE the VAX probably isn't necessary either.

If anyone ever succeeds in giving a LocalTalk network a network number
range and a zone list so it can be "100% Phase 2", I'd like to hear
about it :-).

========================
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (02/06/91)

In article <1583@wcc.oz.au> tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) writes:

> With AppleTalk Phase 2 (not "II") you have Non-extended and Extended
> networks. LocalTalk is non-extended.
>
> If anyone ever succeeds in giving a LocalTalk network a network number
> range and a zone list so it can be "100% Phase 2", I'd like to hear
> about it :-).

Tom,

As you so aptly point out, LocalTalk is a nonextened network.   Inside
AppleTalk, Second Edition, clearly states that nonextended networks are
assigned exactly one network number and exactly one zone name.  Because of
this, LocalTalk will never have a zone list or a network range associated
with it.

Also, whether a network is extended or nonextended has nothing to do with
the network being AppleTalk Phase 2 or not.