[comp.protocols.appletalk] HOW IP WORK IN THE LOCALTALK NETWORK

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (02/07/91)

In <B6062B28E00001B6@BITNET.CC.CMU.EDU> CCEWCH@NUSVM.BITNET writes:

>Can someone point me to a reference document that specify how IP work
>in a AppleTalk network with interface to fastpath/gatorbox kind of
>router assuming the Mac is in the localtalk side.

I'm looking for this as well, but I already understand the basic IP-in-DDP
encapsulation used on LocalTalk. I'm investigating the problems/requirements
for a UNIX kernel module that looks like a "network interface" (i.e. has the
same interface as your favourite ethernet card or whatever) but which hooks
into an existing LocalTalk implementation to get DDP packets shipped out over
localtalk/tokentalk/whatever.

Specific questions:

1) If I insist that the LocalTalk network is a separate IP network (or a
separate subnet), can I avoid having to doing arp on behalf of Macs? I'm
getting the IP routing and IP routing transmissions for free from the UNIX IP
code. If I can't insist on that, do I have to break into NBP?

2) What is the role of the IPGATEWAY registration that my Multigate advertises
on NBP? What protocols does that listener have to speak and to what ends?

3) Will the MacTCP documentation tell me any of this (I believe the answer is
no, but I don't have that documentation so I don't know for sure)?
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP