[comp.protocols.appletalk] Token Talk and TCP/IP

german@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Gregory German) (02/02/91)

I have just begun looking into Macs on Token Ring networks and was hoping
to build off the existing knowledge base of the net.

What I want is the ability of a Mac with a Token Ring card to talk Token
Talk to the other Macs on the Token Ring but to put TCP/IP native on the
Token Ring when it is time to talk to Unix machines through an IP router.

I have not dug very far, but it would appear that the intial attempt has
IP encapsulated in Token Talk which is ignored by the router as a non-ip
packet.  How do I un-encapsulate it?

Any information you can send me will be greatly appreciated.

--
         Greg German (german@sonne.CSO.UIUC.EDU) (217-333-8293)
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb1.221154.18852@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, german@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Gregory German) writes:
> Sender: news@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (News)
>

> I have not dug very far, but it would appear that the intial attempt has
> IP encapsulated in Token Talk which is ignored by the router as a non-ip
> packet.  How do I un-encapsulate it?
>
> Any information you can send me will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully this will help a little bit.  There are rumors that Apple may be doing something about putting TCP/IP over TokenTalk, I have also heard that Wollongong has made some changes to their product to allow it to run over TokenTalk.  You will have to get in touch with Wollongong to confirm that, but at least it's a lead.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.