[comp.protocols.appletalk] SMTP Mailer for MAC's

haase@meevax.meediv.lanl.gov (HAASE_PETER_K) (02/08/91)

Does anyone out there know of a SMTP mailer for Mac's that are on Ethernet?
We have a VAX 6320 runing AFP and Multinet TCP/IP. Right now to send/rec
Internet mail we have to log on to the VAX to do so. We have IP addresses
assigned to the MACS and FTP's and Remote logins work just fine using Host
Access, but there is no mailer. Multinet can store/forward and route mail but
without some sort of mailer on the Mac's you can't do mail directly. I would
like to do it without dedicating a MAC as a mailer or using a Gatorbox.
      Peter K. Haase				haase@meediv.lanl.gov
			(505) 667-2684
                Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/13/91)

In article <13954@lanl.gov>, haase@meevax.meediv.lanl.gov (HAASE_PETER_K) writes:
> News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4
>
> Does anyone out there know of a SMTP mailer for Mac's that are on Ethernet?
> We have a VAX 6320 runing AFP and Multinet TCP/IP. Right now to send/rec
> Internet mail we have to log on to the VAX to do so. We have IP addresses
> assigned to the MACS and FTP's and Remote logins work just fine using Host
> Access, but there is no mailer. Multinet can store/forward and route mail but
> without some sort of mailer on the Mac's you can't do mail directly. I would
> like to do it without dedicating a MAC as a mailer or using a Gatorbox.

There are several ways to do what you want.

1. Buy TCP/Connect II, it contains a POP/SMTP mailer, as well as telnet, FTP, NNTP, SNMP, SLIP, etc...

2. Get Eudora (Public Domain) and set it up, it allows a Mac to recieve SMTP mail.

3. Get QuickMail or MicrosoftMail and one of the X to SMTP gateways that are available.

4. There are a couple of other PD packages out there, but for the life of me I can't remember them.  But I am sure that someone will post what they are.  MacPost comes to mind, and MEWS...

Hope that helps.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.