[comp.protocols.appletalk] Chooser name -- where is it stored?

audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com (02/13/91)

Where can I get the name typed into the chooser window?  I could do an NBP
lookup, but that seems like a waste of time if the name is available in a
global somewhere.

--
John Coffman

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (02/14/91)

In article <2294.27b91268@spacm1.spac.spc.com>
audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com writes:

> Where can I get the name typed into the chooser window?  I could do an NBP
> lookup, but that seems like a waste of time if the name is available in a
> global somewhere.

John,

The Chooser name is store in the System file in "STR " resource -16096. The first character in this resource is the length of name with the name following (Pascal string format). Hope this helps...

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

mrn@eplunix.UUCP (Mark R. Nilsen) (02/15/91)

in article <2294.27b91268@spacm1.spac.spc.com>, audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com says:

> Where can I get the name typed into the chooser window?  I could do an NBP
   This may not be the best way to do it but Think C gives you the
unix call getlogin(). I assume they included it to be ANSI compatible.  It
returns the name in the chooser.

	syntax:
		#include <unix.h>
		char *getlogin(void);