[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk rwall?

dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) (02/16/91)

Howdy-
  This seems like a task which people would want to do often, but I
was unable to find something for this purpose in my search of the
archives.  Here's what I would like to do:

Under UN*X, it is possible to send out a message which is received by
all of the users of the machine (wall).  It is even possible to send
out a message which is received by all of the users on separate hosts
connected by a network (rwall).  I was wondering if there existed a
package PD or otherwise (perhaps consisting of an init to receive
messages and an app to send them) which would allow me to broadcast a
message out to all of the users on our buildings internet using
Localtalk or Ethertalk?  I can envision them seeing a dialogue box
which they click to dismiss similar to the AppleShare shutdown
messages.  I would be happy to send this message via a macintosh, but
sending it via my UN*X host would be even better.  Thanks.
      Peace,
         dNb

R.Lambourne@massey.ac.nz (Bob Lambourne) (02/16/91)

> Under UN*X, it is possible to send out a message which is received by
> all of the users of the machine (wall).  It is even possible to send
> out a message which is received by all of the users on separate hosts
> connected by a network (rwall).  I was wondering if there existed a
> package PD or otherwise (perhaps consisting of an init to receive
> messages and an app to send them) which would allow me to broadcast a
> message out to all of the users on our buildings internet using
> Localtalk or Ethertalk?  I can envision them seeing a dialogue box
> which they click to dismiss similar to the AppleShare shutdown
> messages.  I would be happy to send this message via a macintosh, but
> sending it via my UN*X host would be even better.  Thanks.
>      Peace,
>         dNb

You want the Messages system written by David Hornsby (I think) at the
University of Melbourne Dept. of Computer Science, home of the Multigate
(=U.S. Webster Multiport Gateway). The package can be fetched by
anonymous (binary) FTP from munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21), directory
'multigate', file 'messages.1.4.shar.Z'

Here is the start of the README file:

Introduction:
-------------

Messages is a combination of UNIX and Macintosh programs designed to
make it easy to communicate short messages (not email) between Mac and
UNIX users.

The shar files includes C source for use with the Columbia AppleTalk
Package (CAP) on UNIX and a StuffIt/BinHex file containing the mac
components.

For more information on the UNIX programs, refer to the *.1l manual
entries.

Macintosh files in messages.1.2.sit.hqx:

'Messages' is a Control Panel document that receives and displays short
messages. 'Messages DA' is used to lookup users, edit and send messages.
Together, they provide a similar functionality to the UNIX programs
"wall", "write" and "biff" for Macintosh users (something akin to "biff"
is implemented in the UNIX version of the DA).

The messages system was implemented in two parts to allow the use of
'Messages DA' to be restricted in a student environment.

(implementation details deleted)

--

Bob Lambourne                    <R.Lambourne@massey.ac.nz>
Senior Computer Scientist, Massey University Computer Centre

jim@nature.berkeley.edu (02/17/91)

In article <DNB.91Feb15124620@meshugge.media.mit.edu> dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) writes:

>This seems like a task which people would want to do often, but I
>was unable to find something for this purpose in my search of the
>archives.  Here's what I would like to do:
>
>Under UN*X, it is possible to send out a message which is received by
>all of the users of the machine (wall).

KeyServer, developed and used at Dartmouth and available from Sassafras
Software, is a marvelous launch control package which also provides
rwall and motd capability.

   Contact: Denis Devlin at Sassafras Software, Inc.,
   PO Box 150, Hanover, NH, 03755 (603) 643-3351.
   Internet: denisd@dartmouth.edu
   Bitnet: DDEVLIN@DARTCMS1.BITNET
   AppleLink: D4989

I don't know how we got along without it.  It is quality software.

Jim Bradley, CNR Computer Facility, UC Berkeley