[comp.protocols.appletalk] Date/time with Aufs ?

grimm@urz.unibas.ch (02/16/91)

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with CAP's Aufs. Whenever I copy a file
from a Mac to the Aufs Sever the dates (i.e the creation date and
the modification date) of the copy change to the time the file was
copied. This doesn't happen if I copy a file from the Mac disk to
e.g. a floppy. Is this a bug or a feature, and if it is a bug is
there a fix for it? (I'm using the Rutgers Version - RU-CAP2)
Any help would be appreciated.

Stefan Grimm
Mathematisches Institut der Universtaet Basel, Schweiz
grimm@urz.unibas.ch

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (02/17/91)

grimm@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>I seem to have a problem with CAP's Aufs. Whenever I copy a file
>from a Mac to the Aufs Sever the dates (i.e the creation date and
>the modification date) of the copy change to the time the file was
>copied. This doesn't happen if I copy a file from the Mac disk to
>e.g. a floppy. Is this a bug or a feature, and if it is a bug is
>there a fix for it? (I'm using the Rutgers Version - RU-CAP2)
>Any help would be appreciated.

This is one of those things buried deep in the documentation. UNIX
doesn't know about creation date; there is no place to put it in
the file information. There are only access time, modification time,
and change of i-node time. So aufs just goes for the earliest one.
Blech.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC