[comp.protocols.appletalk] generic postscript

Chris_McNeil@MACSMTP.CSD.UNB.CA (Chris McNeil) (02/18/91)

How to I create a postscript file on my Mac ( under Word or Word Perfect) that
allows me to ftp it to a unix machine and print it there. I know how to create
a Postscript file on my Mac but it has postscript commands that the printer on
Unix doesn't understand. I believe this is due to the laserprep file ( contains
a postscript dictionary which is sent to the printer before the print job is)

Chris McNeil
chris_mcneil@macsmtp.csd.unb.ca

peiffer@CS.UMN.EDU ("Tim Peiffer ", The Net Guy) (02/21/91)

>How to I create a postscript file on my Mac (under Word or Word Perfect) that
>allows me to ftp it to a unix machine and print it there. I know how to create
>a Postscript file on my Mac but it has postscript commands that the printer on
>Unix doesn't understand. I believe this is due to the laserprep file (contains
>a postscript dictionary which is sent to the printer before the print job is)

This above is correct.  Unix spooler filters for postscript usually
recognize postscript by one of two methods on Line 1; "%!" or "%!PS-Adobe".
The laser prep file starts out with "%Laser prep" or some fool thing
like that.  There are two options.  Pass a "%!" sequence to the
spooler just ahead of the postscript file.  The second is to dump
without the laser prep file.  I believe that the <option> K sequence
produces the postscript+prep, while <option> F produces postscript
without the usual prep file.

For the benefit of the mailing list:
Turn background printing off via chooser/laserwriter dialog box.
Print your document in the normal method, except when getting to the
final [OK], follow it immediately with <option> f/k sequence.
If printing via a Unix LPD spool, you will likely need the -b option,
or the unprintable/control chars will cause the print job to be
rejected as trash.

Printing via method 1 is a little ugly, but it is useful if you are
using quickdraw to postscript macros (Mac Draw/Paint...) as part your
postscript package.

Tim Peiffer{-----------
Tim Peiffer				peiffer@cs.umn.edu 	or
Computer Science Dept			..!rutgers!umn-cs!peiffer
University of Minnesota
MPLS MN 55455

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) (02/23/91)

In article <9102210325.AA15366@cs.umn.edu> peiffer@CS.UMN.EDU ("Tim
Peiffer ", The Net Guy) writes:
> For the benefit of the mailing list:
> Turn background printing off via chooser/laserwriter dialog box.
> Print your document in the normal method, except when getting to the
> final [OK], follow it immediately with <option> f/k sequence.

> Printing via method 1 is a little ugly, but it is useful if you are
> using quickdraw to postscript macros (Mac Draw/Paint...) as part your
> postscript package.

Tim, agree that that the command-F method of producing postscript files is
"a little ugly".

Try this one instead:
Fire up ResEdit and make visible the "Disk Copy" checkbox that's normally
hidden in the standard LaserWriter print dialog.  Don't want to play with
ResEdit?  No problem!  Run a copy of D.G. Gilbert's "MyPageSetup 1.3" and
select OK for both dialog boxes.  You'll then have a new check box, marked
Disk Copy, on the standard LaserWriter print dialog.

From then on:
Whenever you want a PostScript file, just Select Print from whatever
application you are in and when the standard LaserWriter dialog comes up
check the "Disk Copy" checkbox.  That's it!

No need to turn background printing.  And no need to hunt all over the
Postscript files.  They'll be in:  System  Folder/Spool Folder.

I use the v5.2 laserwriter drivers and this works well.  I suspect a bit
of poking around would be needed for the v6.x drivers.

regards,

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca