[comp.protocols.appletalk] QuickMail to MHS Gateway

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (02/05/91)

We have decided to migrate to QuickMail as our e-mail to aid in establishing
a gateway to a Novell MHS based e-mail system of IBM computers.  Seems that
InBox (which we are currently using) doesn't have this kind of gateway
available.

I would like to hear some testimonials from people who are in a similar
arrangement.  How stable is the gateway??  I would also like to hear from any
QuickMail users on just the overall performance of the QuickMail system.

Thanks in advance.
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget

johnston@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jon Johnston) (02/07/91)

     Tim,

    Quickmail, I believe, is the most wonderful electronic mail package in the
world. I work with a company who uses it religously, and I am tied to them
with QM Remote, through a modem. They have found Quickmail extremely useful,
and have connected it through several remote sites and mailcenters.

    For the MHS Gateway, are you going to use the Star Nine Gateway? I think
the CE had one themselves, but had given it up.

Apparently Star Nine's works well, but its more expesnive....

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!johnston
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!johnston@nosc.mil
INET: johnston@pnet51.orb.mn.org
America Online:Biggity          Someday, after we have mastered the winds,
CompuServe:75470,1740           the tides and gravity, we shall harness for
                                God the energies of love. Then, for the
                                    second time in the history of the world
                                   man will have discovered fire.
                                                Tielhard de Chardin

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/08/91)

In article <4042@orbit.cts.com>, johnston@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jon Johnston) writes:
>    For the MHS Gateway, are you going to use the Star Nine Gateway? I think
> the CE had one themselves, but had given it up.

From my understanding at MacWorld, CE gave their MHS gateway to StarNine.  So it is the sameone, but StarNine is now supporting it.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

kalash@starnine.UUCP (Joe Kalash) (02/20/91)

In article <27B19279.3FEE@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
>In article <4042@orbit.cts.com>, johnston@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jon Johnston) writes:
>>    For the MHS Gateway, are you going to use the Star Nine Gateway? I think
>> the CE had one themselves, but had given it up.
>
>From my understanding at MacWorld, CE gave their MHS gateway to StarNine.  So it is the sameone, but StarNine is now supporting it.

Nope. The MHS gateway that we sell was developed entirely here at StarNine
(I should know, I did it), we never had any access to any of the CE MHS source.
We also have MHS gateways for Microsoft mail, and for InBox (Sitka).

		Joe Kalash
		uunet!starnine!kalash
		kalash@starnine.com

Disclaimer: StarNine knows nothing about what I am saying.

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (02/20/91)

In article <705@starnine.UUCP> kalash@starnine.UUCP (Joe Kalash) writes:

>Nope. The MHS gateway that we sell was developed entirely here at StarNine
>(I should know, I did it), we never had any access to any of the CE MHS source.
>We also have MHS gateways for Microsoft mail, and for InBox (Sitka).
>
>		Joe Kalash
>		uunet!starnine!kalash
>		kalash@starnine.com

Better watch yourself on this one, I have talked to other from StarNine on
several occasions and have been told that the InBox to MHS gateway has been
dropped, ie. they are no longer making one.  They even sent me faxes on it one
time from the central headquarters, then after talking to the local
representative (Jim Persky) he told me to ignore those faxes because it was
discontinued.

I am confused!!!

If this position has changed then I would love to know.  Otherwise, we are
in the process of moving to a QuickMail based e-mail system so that we can have
the link to MHS.

--

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/24/91)

In article <705@starnine.UUCP>, kalash@starnine.UUCP (Joe Kalash) writes:
> Nope. The MHS gateway that we sell was developed entirely here at StarNine
> (I should know, I did it), we never had any access to any of the CE MHS
source.
> We also have MHS gateways for Microsoft mail, and for InBox (Sitka).

Ah, ok.  I heard a random rumor then.  Sigh, such is the life of someone who is
very busy at MacWorld...:-)

Good luck.