[comp.protocols.appletalk] Volkswriter to Appletalk Help!!!!

carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au (02/18/91)

Hi

Can anyone help with a problem, we hava an Appletalk network connecting
IBM's and Macs to a AppleLaser NT printer.

One of our lecturers uses Volkswriter as a word processor and has tiried
to get it printing to the Laserwriter, with no success.

Has any one else been able to set this program up to print over an
Appletalk network ?

HELP Please.

Tahnks in advance.--

  __ |\  John Carson                   \   Ph:       (089)466207
 -  -  \  Northern Territory University \  Fax:      (089)466454
/       \ PO Box 40146,CASUARINA,NT,0811 \ Inter: Carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au
\_.--.__/ Australia.
       v               "The best is yet to come when everyone has a AMIGA"

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb18.094136.646@darwin.ntu.edu.au> carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>Can anyone help with a problem, we have an Appletalk network connecting
>IBM's and Macs to a AppleLaser NT printer.
>
>Has any one else been able to set [volkswriter] up to print over an
>Appletalk network ?

You don't mention which (if any) network software you are running.  If
you are using TOPS for DOS (or whatever it's called nowadays) there are
specific configuration steps that have to be set-up and an additional
TSR run at start-up (or sometime before printing).  I also understand
that AppleShare PC will support printing to an AppleTalk'ed laser
printer.

The DayStar Digital LT200 LocalTalk interface board for PC BUS or Micro
Channel has firmware to handle printing to a Laser Printer.  It is easy
to configure and is the only DOS print re-director I have seen that
doesn't require a [timeout|hot-key|end-of-program] signal.  Since it
runs on the board itself it actualy monitors the print data stream.
BTW, the LT200 also supports AFP and can "mount" an AppleShare server
as a DOS volume.

DayStar is at 800-962-2077 or 404-967-2077.

--
   "I will fight no more never again", Chief Joseph (of the Nez Pierce Indians)
   "In war there is no right side and no winning side", me