[comp.protocols.appletalk] BBS Software for Appletalk Network?

pj@oxy.edu (Paul Jonathan Estalilla Go) (02/24/91)

Hello! Is there a bulletin board package available for Appletalk networks?
I would like to start a forum for networked users, so all that is needed
is a posting/reading app/da/whatever and a 'server' application running on
a non-dedicated mac currently running SingleShare.

pj

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (02/24/91)

Not currently, but keep your eyes open.  There are a couple of packages that I
am aware of, but are not announced.  Also you might want to talk to ICE
Engineering, they have a UUPC package that is on the Mac, that I believe they
are working on putting onto AppleTalk.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

wnn@ornl.gov (02/25/91)

In article <148063@tiger.oxy.edu> pj@oxy.edu (Paul Jonathan Estalilla Go)
writes:
>Hello! Is there a bulletin board package available for Appletalk networks?

Spider Island Software has announced that it will start shipping a utility with
which the TeleFinder BBS can be directly accessed via AppleTalk protocol by
networked TeleFinder/User client software.
TeleFinder Host runs under MultiFinder. We are operating it on a MacPlus and
have a six-platter CD-ROM changer attached to it. Our members love the ease of
use. The user application uses the same interface metaphor as the regular
Finder. To download a file, you simply drag it from the remote folder to your
local folder. Uploading works in the same fashion. You might not even need
SingleShare anymore if you use it for file exchange only and not for running
applications or opening documents remotely. TeleFinder also includes a
thread-based messaging system. And each user has a mail box for personal mail.

Spider Island's phone number is 714-669-9260.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (02/26/91)

writes:
> Hello! Is there a bulletin board package available for Appletalk
networks?
> I would like to start a forum for networked users, so all that is needed
> is a posting/reading app/da/whatever and a 'server' application running
on
> a non-dedicated mac currently running SingleShare.

Check out MacWeek 2/5/91, p.15.  Pacer Software has a new groupware product
"PacerForum".  Networking is accomplished via AppleTalk, the client is a DA,
and the server runs on a non-dedicated Mac.  It is System 7 compatible and
it's currently in beta test. If you missed the article, "PacerForum is
an AppleTalk-based network application that will give Mac users much of the
functionality of an electronic bulletin board system, with sophisticated
options for discussions, registration of users, and security."  Forums and
topics are hierarchically arranged and are graphically represented by 64x64
pixel icons.  Postings can consist of text, graphics, sound, and/or files.
We've been using and refining the product in house now for about 6 months
(Sort of an extended alpha test).  Some things we use it for (and I'm sure
our beta customers will dream up all sorts of neat ones too) are:

Discussing product functionality
Designing and resolving user interface issues
Posting product schedules
Discussing product suggestions and bugs
Distributing source within a development group
Pooling technical information
Posting applications and utilities for general consumption
Making announcements about company policy
Organizing meetings
Building a list of who's playing basketball on Thursdays
Discussing sports, politics, movie reviews, and cars.
Tracking the location of portable equipment (tape drives, scanners, etc.)

/Matt
---
Matt Kingman
Macintosh Software Engineer