[comp.protocols.appletalk] Determining the System name and Zone??

ferriby@perot.com (John Ferriby) (02/26/91)

Is anyone aware of a method to determine the system [responder] name, type and
zone in a reverse-NBP fashion?  (e.g., The network and node numbers are known.)
Is there a permanent socket that I can address on the target MAC that would
respond with an identity?  I really cringe at the thought of having to scan the
NBP and ZONE lists by hand in a attempt to determine this information...

--
John Ferriby

Perot Systems Corporation    Telephone: +1-313-641-3660
4555 Corporate Drive         Internet: ferriby@perot.com
Troy, MI 48098-6353          UUCP: {uunet,decwrl,sun,umich}!perot!ferriby

cremer@Apple.COM (Mike Cremer) (03/01/91)

In article <2418@perot.com> ferriby@perot.com (John Ferriby) writes:
>Is anyone aware of a method to determine the system [responder] name, type and
>zone in a reverse-NBP fashion?  (e.g., The network and node numbers are known.)
>John Ferriby
>Perot Systems Corporation

Send an NBP LkUp directly to the node in question, targeted at DDP socket
2 (NIS socket).  The format of an NBP LkUp request is in Inside AppleTalk
(2/e) p. 7-14.  Note that you must write a socket listener to handle
the LkUp-Reply packets yourself (the NBP code assumes it will be sending a BrRq
to a router which will convert it to the appropriate LkUp packets for
broadcast on the target network, which of course you do not want to do).

$mike cremer
apple network systems development
usual disclaimers