[comp.protocols.appletalk] ScreenSavers and Network Function?

tjh+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Tom Holodnik) (03/01/91)

	I'd heard stories that some screensavers cause the Mac to miss network
interrupts. Is this the case? Can anyone say which screensavers do this?
How might I test this to be sure?

Thanks,
Tom Holodnik
CMU

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/02/91)

In article <MbnHDn200WCoMZTKRU@andrew.cmu.edu>, tjh+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Tom Holodnik) writes:

> 	I'd heard stories that some screensavers cause the Mac to miss network
> interrupts. Is this the case? Can anyone say which screensavers do this?
> How might I test this to be sure?

I ran into one a few weeks ago.  I was demoing some network software
to a client of mine a few weeks ago.  My server code froze up, it
turns out they had this Shark screen saver running on that machine
and the dumb thing doesn't yield time to background program!

They junked the shark thing pretty quick...

Oh yes, interrupts still should have been working, but my code functions
as a background program and polls for incoming AppleTalk messages.

-- michael

I can't, for the life of me, remember the name of this thing, but
it ships with a fake shark's fin in the box.

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE