[comp.protocols.appletalk] TOPS not remembering volumes?

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/02/91)

We are a large site (1000 machines on ethernet, 15 AT zones, 400 TOPS
users) and have had reports of TOPS volumes disappearing and when the
user reboots, the volumes that TOPS previously remembered to
auto-mount don't automount.

Sitka has not heard of this problem before. Has anyone else seen this?

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

jensen@mscf.upenn.edu (Christopher Jensen) (03/02/91)

In article <BARNETT.91Mar1161237@grymoire.crd.ge.com>
barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
> (We) had reports of TOPS volumes disappearing and when the
> user reboots, the volumes that TOPS previously remembered to
> auto-mount don't automount.
> Sitka has not heard of this problem before. Has anyone else seen this?

  Yes, I have seen a similar problem. One possible cause of the error is
multiple active copies of the Tops desk accessory.

 The Tops installer program places the Tops DA directly into your system file.
 Some users may be running Suitcase or Juggler.
 They may have copied the Tops DA from the system file into a Font/DA Mover file.

Check all of your DA files and verify that only one copy of the Tops DA is
active.

Certain combinations of inits also produce this problem. Try disabling all
inits except "TOPS" and "SoftTalk". Beware that the TOPS inits complain if you rename them.

Christopher Jensen

University of Pennsylvania
Medical Information Systems
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/05/91)

In article <38567@netnews.upenn.edu> jensen@mscf.upenn.edu (Christopher Jensen) writes:

>     Yes, I have seen a similar problem. One possible cause of the error is
>   multiple active copies of the Tops desk accessory.

This isn't the cause in our case. The users I have checked don't have
Suitcase or Juggler. A lot of Microsoft software, SAM, TOPS, and
MacTCP. I would appreciate any other clues. (I know SAM and MS Mail
have problems. I don't *think* the TOPS problem is related).
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett