[comp.protocols.appletalk] questions on KIP/CAP and EtherPrint box

bartm@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Bart Muyzer) (03/06/91)

Hi,

I've several questions concerning KIP/CAP and the Dayna EtherPrint box. First
I'll summarize our network topology and explain the problem.

The important part of our network looks like:

	  -------
	  |     | SUN SPAR
	  ------- station [131.211.145.26]

<--------------------------------------------------------------> thin ethernet
     |                   |                            |
   -----               -----                     -----------
   -----               ----- box                 ----------- [131.211.145.34]

		     ---------
		     |       | Apple LaserWriter II/ntx
		     ---------

I've installed the LaserWriter (LW) as a local printer for the Apple IIfx, and
as a remote printer for the UNIX hosts. All this works fine. The UNIX hosts
are:
* 1 HP 9000 series 835 running HP-UX 7.0	[131.211.145.16]
* 1 HP 9000 series 400T running HP-UX 7.0	[131.211.80.2]
* 1 HP 9000 series 340 running HP-UX 7.0	[131.211.145.28]
* 1 SUN SPARC station running SunOs 4.1.1	[131.211.145.26]

The ethernet carries TCP packets and EtherTalk (== AppleTalk over ethernet)
packets, the latter sent by the IIfx. The EtherPrint box translates the
EtherTalk packets into LocalTalk packets. This is necessary because that's the
only prototcol the LW understands.

My goal is that I want to access the LW directly from all machines connected
to the network, that is *without* burdening the IIfx. From dyer@spdcc.COM
(Steve Dyer) I understood that CAP can be used for this because he wrote:

   "The EtherPrint box works fine with RU-CAP using the "papif" utility plus
   TransScript. I'm running CAP on a SUN SLC and share a TI Microlaser PS with
   a Mac IIfx"

I ftp'd CAP, and from the docs I understood that I also need KIP so I ftp'd
that too. I installed KIP on the SUN SPARC station and tried to understand how
to configure it. From what I understand, KIP provides routing information
towards Kinetics Boxes (and EtherPrint boxes???) by mapping aplletalk net
numbers to IP-addresses.

My questions are:
1. Did I correctly understand the functionality of KIP?
2. The EtherPrint box has no internet address, nor can it be assigned one,
   because it doesn't understand the TCP/IP protocol. Is this a problem?
3. What do I have to put in the /etc/atalkatab and /etc/atalk.local files?
4. Is it enough to only edit the atalk.local file? In other words: do I really
   need the atalkatab file?
5. If 2. *is* a problem, what alternatives do I have?

Any help will be appreciated! Please send e-mail to:

      bartm@cs.ruu.nl  (preferred), or
      bartm@cv.ruu.nl

or just post in this newsgroup.

--
Bart Muyzer (SysAdm), 3D Computer Vision, University Hospital Utrecht,
Heidelberglaan 100, room E.02.222, Utrecht, The Netherlands.

rapatel@pilot.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (03/07/91)

Did you retrieve ru-cap2? It sounds as thouh you retrieved CAP 5.0
instead. If you wish to have cap use Ethertalk Phase 1 on your sun,
then you want to use the Rutgers version, which does support that.
KIP is the gateway code used on the Kinetics/Shiva FastPath boxes
to handle IPTalk and KIPs dynamic IP address allocation (it is
obsolete on the Fastpath 4 since K* does everything it does and more).
From rutgers.edu (128.6.4.7 ; 128.6.21.9 ) via anonymous ftp, you should get:

src/enet.tar.Z
src/ru-cap2.tar.Z
src/etalk-converson.doc

The enet driver is necessary for your Sun to use Ethertalk.
The etalk-conversion.doc will essentially explain how to convert from
IPTalk to Ethertalk using the ru-cap2 distribution.

Rakesh Patel.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/07/91)

In article <4941@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> bartm@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Bart Muyzer) writes:
>My goal is that I want to access the LW directly from all machines connected
>to the network, that is *without* burdening the IIfx. From dyer@spdcc.COM
>(Steve Dyer) I understood that CAP can be used for this because he wrote:
>
>   "The EtherPrint box works fine with RU-CAP using the "papif" utility plus
>   TransScript. I'm running CAP on a SUN SLC and share a TI Microlaser PS with
>   a Mac IIfx"
>
>My questions are:
>1. Did I correctly understand the functionality of KIP?
>2. The EtherPrint box has no internet address, nor can it be assigned one,
>   because it doesn't understand the TCP/IP protocol. Is this a problem?
>3. What do I have to put in the /etc/atalkatab and /etc/atalk.local files?
>4. Is it enough to only edit the atalk.local file? In other words: do I really
>   need the atalkatab file?
>5. If 2. *is* a problem, what alternatives do I have?

You need to build RU-CAP on the Sun with Chuck Hedrick's ethertalk support
(i.e. not with UAB or MacIP) and install the enet filter device driver into
your Sun.  KIP is not involved.

/etc/atalk.local contains the following lines on my Sun:
# Native EtherTalk using experimental CAP
enet0 spdcc-etalk

The Sun is accessing the EtherPrint box using ethertalk packets using the
'papif' application.  IP is not involved.

Your other hosts (if they can't be made to run RU-CAP/ethertalk directly)
should point to the Sun as a remote printer in their /etc/printcap files.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer