[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appleshare: How can I give finder enough memory to mount /u?

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) (02/27/91)

We have a very large disk (1.7 Gb) disk on a UNIX system we want to mount
via AppleShare/GatorShare.  I can mount the disk fine without multifinder,
but if I run multifinder (Mac OS6.05 w/4Mb memory on an SE) I get the
message:

    Not enough finder memory to work with disk /u

Is there a way to give AppleShare more memory to use as you do with an
application by clicking on its icon and using the Get-Info display?  Or does
this message really mean that 4Mb isn't enough?  Doing "About Finder" shows
that I have about 3.3Mb available to applications.

Thanks in advance...--Tim

hobson@madness.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (03/05/91)

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:

>We have a very large disk (1.7 Gb) disk on a UNIX system we want to mount
>via AppleShare/GatorShare.  I can mount the disk fine without multifinder,
>but if I run multifinder (Mac OS6.05 w/4Mb memory on an SE) I get the
>message:

>    Not enough finder memory to work with disk /u

>Is there a way to give AppleShare more memory to use as you do with an
>application by clicking on its icon and using the Get-Info display?  Or does
>this message really mean that 4Mb isn't enough?  Doing "About Finder" shows
>that I have about 3.3Mb available to applications.

Others can correct me but he goes.... Basically, finder is making file
index pointers to all the files you have on your disk. If you many
files on the disk, finder barfs. I usually get this when I mount my
Sun's CAP volume. Good time to clean up the disk and organize it into
folders. We also carry the sumex mac archive and notice that it also
needed to be reorganize in order for users to mount it on their Mac
Pluses around the campus appletalk. Reorganize the disk with directory
and this should help you to mount this disk.

--
Kevin Hobson				Internet: hobson@rutgers.edu
Rutgers - The State University		UUCP: {backbone}!rutgers!hobson

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (03/06/91)

In article <10396@ncar.ucar.edu>, fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:

> We have a very large disk (1.7 Gb) disk on a UNIX system we want to mount
> via AppleShare/GatorShare.  I can mount the disk fine without multifinder,
> but if I run multifinder (Mac OS6.05 w/4Mb memory on an SE) I get the
> message:
>
>     Not enough finder memory to work with disk /u
>
> Is there a way to give AppleShare more memory to use as you do with an
> application by clicking on its icon and using the Get-Info display?

Yes, but as the message from your Mac shows, it is your Mac's FINDER
that has run out of memory, and not AppleShare. Increase the
Finder's default MultiFinder partition memory size in it's Get-Info
display (select Finder in your system folder, select "Get Info"....).

Same trick works if you're copying too many files in the one action
and the Finder complains, although I'd recommend MonoFinder for this.

========================
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt (BNR)) (03/07/91)

In article <1621@wcc.oz.au> tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) writes:
> Yes, but as the message from your Mac shows, it is your Mac's FINDER
> that has run out of memory, and not AppleShare. Increase the
> Finder's default MultiFinder partition memory size in it's Get-Info
> display (select Finder in your system folder, select "Get Info"....).

Good advice, as usual from Tom.  It turns out most of the default multifinder
partition sizes that Apple ships cause things to break a lot more often than you might think.   Mind you, I only hear about *problems* with our 2500 Macs,
so I might be getting a biased view.  :-)

On new system installs, I routinely bump up, not only the Finder's
allocation, but also Print Monitor's, and DAHandler's.  Then not only do I
run into the Finder complaining a lot less, but I get less obscure print
failures, or messages that no more DA's can be opened.

By the way the DAHandler size can't be increased with the standard
"Highlight file, select "Get Info".  Yah gotta open DAHandler's "size"
resource with ResEdit and bump it up from it's default of 16000 bytes.

And finally it's usually a good idea to edit the boot blocks to increase
system heap size and the maximum number of files that can be
simultaneously opened.

It sure would be nice if Apple provided a utility for power users to do
all this.   As it is, you need a handful of different 3rd-party tools to
"tune" up a new Mac system install.... :-)

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca