[comp.protocols.appletalk] ETHERNET CARD FOR SE/30

CCEWCH@NUSVM.BITNET (03/06/91)

Is there a Ethernet card for SE/30. I have heard EtherPort SE/30, is it
reliable ?

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (03/07/91)

CCEWCH@NUSVM.BITNET writes:

>Is there a Ethernet card for SE/30.

Yes. Many. Check out the June 1990 MacUser for a comparative review,
or wait just a few more months until our next one comes out.

Stephan Somogyi      1/8 of the world's population, 2/3 of the lawyers
MacUser

mazu@terre (Marc Mazuhelli) (03/07/91)

In article <D24C518DC0000069@BITNET.CC.CMU.EDU> CCEWCH@NUSVM.BITNET writes:
>Is there a Ethernet card for SE/30. I have heard EtherPort SE/30, is it
>reliable ?

We have 2 Asante MacCon for the SE/30 (with twisted pair) and they
seem to work pretty well.  I can't compare with others as the Asante
is the only one I tried.  It's not as expensive as certain others,
which is a big plus...

We have only one problem, and I'm not sure whose fault it is.  The
SE/30 with the Asante card can't communicate with our GatorBox when
we're in GatorKeeper (to configure the GB).  I tried to talk to Cayman
and Asante about it.  Cayman told me that it wasn't a problen with
other cards they tried and suspected it was Asante's fault.
Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to investigate further and I
decided to live with the fact that I have to reboot with the Network
CDEV set to Built-in when I use GatorKeeper.  Fortnately, this doesn't
happen often so I can live with it; it's just a bit annoying.

I have to say that once the GB is configured and running, I can use
all network services (Aufs and lwsrv, TCP/IP and FTP, ...) through
the Ethernet card with no problems.  And it goes a lot faster than with
LocalTalk!

If anyone knows a solution to this problem (maybe another version of
the driver for the Asante card?), please let me know!

Now if I only could find an combined 8 bit video for a 12/13" screen /
Ethernet card !!!!  :-)

--
{  Marc Mazuhelli                   |  professeur                  }
{  internet: mazu@dmi.USherb.CA     |  Departement de math-info.   }