[comp.protocols.appletalk] RARP implimentations for BSD 4.3 tahoe/reno

pkilllea@unix2.tcd.ie (Tom Killalea) (03/07/91)

In <17161@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:
>The standard BSD 4.3 does not seem to have a 'rarpd' program
>implimented. Is there a public version of the RARP protocol.
>jclark@ucsd.edu

We use bootpd for ip address resolution for ethernetted PCs on a tahoe
running BSD 4.3, but Macs running NCSA Telnet look for rarpd to
dynamically get an ip number.  Apparently there isn't an rarpd implementation
under BSD for security reasons - it doesn't like user level processes looking
at ethernet packets.  If someone has discovered a workaround for this, other
than assigning ip numbers for the Macs manually, I'd like to hear it.

Tom.
--
Tom Killalea |                          |  Trinity College
             |  pkilllea@unix2.tcd.ie   |