[comp.protocols.appletalk] EtherTalk Startup & InterLan NIA310 boards

krf@wucs1.wustl.edu (Kevin Fenster) (03/13/91)

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.appletalk
Subject: EtherTalk Startup & InterLan NIA310 boards

We are looking at Ethernet boards for a bunch of Macs in
a student lab.  I purchased a couple NIA310 boards from
Racal/InterLan since they seemed to have a pretty good
reputation, and they supposedly have a lifetime warranty
on the boards (good for a student lab).

We are also looking at uShare from IPT to make a Unix machine
(either a Sun or Sony workstation) look like an AppleShare
fileserver.  We have uShare on our main Sun server for evaluation
purposes.

Anyway, I was using the Macs with the ethernet boards, mounting
the Sun disks as AppleShare disks.  But I noticed that everytime
I turned my test Mac on, I would get a seemingly random route
inserted into the route table on the Sun.  For example, our
registered internet address at Nebraska Wesleyan is 192.94.109.xxx.
I have the uShare software set up as directed from IPT (thanks for the
help from Victoria at IPT).  When I turn the Mac on, I get a route
inserted in the route table, which says something like all packets
destined for 192.255.69.0 should go through the uShare EtherTalk
driver (et0).  If I turn the mac off and then back on, I get a
different route, like 192.255.41.0.  Do this enough times
and you get a relly offensive looking route table.

Anyway, so I start recalling my days of working with AppleTalk
at the bit level and I remember that Macs use a dynamic node
address assignment algorithm.  I yank my copy of Inside AppleTalk
from my shelf (kinda reminds you of "Twas the night before Christmas...)
and confirm this and then note that the network number is not
supposed to be dynamic, but rather start with the unknown
network (defined to be 0 which is also the local network), and
learn your network number from some gateway or server.

I grab another Mac, toss another NIA310 board in it, start up
Racal/InterLan's EtherScope product, and watch what happens
with the packets being transmitted by the test mac when it
gets powered on.  The first packet to come out of the test
Mac is an AARP probe packet, and it has a field in the packet
which is the "Source protocol address", and in decimal dot
notation it has its 4 bytes which look like 0.255.41.39.  There
is another field "Tentative protocol address" which has the
same value.  I interpret the above value to mean network 255.41
and node 39.

From what I see with EtherScope and what I read in Inside AppleTalk,
I seem to be getting conflicts.  I would expect to see this first
probe packet to have in it a "Source protocol address" and
"Tentative protocol address" which looks more like 0.0.0.39.  This
would seem to indicate that the Mac did not know which network
it was connected to, and will wait to find out from something
with authority.

Am I correct in what I expect to see, and am I correct in thinking
that the test mac is spitting out a bogus probe packet?  Note that
I tried different Mac's (one a IIsi with system 6.0.7, the other
a IIci with system 6.0.4) and got consistent results.  I've been
told that the problem is being caused by the uShare software on
the Sun, but I don't understand this since the probe packet I am
looking at is the first piece of data on the ethernet from the
mac, and it neither the mac or the uShare sun have any knowledge
of each other.

Any suggestions, comments, advice, moral support would be appreciated.
It gets a little intimidating when talking to some of these "bigger"
companies, and their first response is "Can't be a problem; nobody
else has said anything."  Just need some confirmations that I
am seeing something inconsistent with the specs.

Sincerely,

Kevin R. Fenster
Nebraska Wesleyan University
Lincoln, NE