[comp.protocols.appletalk] How to access MS Mail

tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) (03/12/91)

I have a LocalTalk network running MS Mail/Quick Mail.
This works fine for sending mail among users on this network.

I also have the Cayman's GatorMail/M and GatorMail/Q.
This works fine for sending mail to users on the internet.

What I don't know how to do it to access the MS Mail (or QuickMail)
'post office' from my mac at home.

I'd like to be able to see If I have mail when I'm *NOT* at my
mac in the office.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way?

Thanks.

--Tony Olejnik
  Network Engineer
  University of Pennsylvania
  Data Communications and Computing Services
  3401 Walnut Street
  Suite 221A
  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6228
  (215) 898-9408
  tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (03/12/91)

In article <39040@netnews.upenn.edu> tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) writes:
>What I don't know how to do it to access the MS Mail (or QuickMail)
>'post office' from my mac at home.
>
>I'd like to be able to see If I have mail when I'm *NOT* at my
>mac in the office.
>
>Can anyone tell me if there is a way?

With Quickmail there is a solution.

You should have a copy of Quickmail Remote that you can run on remote Macs
over a modem.

You can also get mail with a dumb terminal and a modem.

You need to have a modem on your mail server and QM Administrator running to
make these things work.

Consult your QM manual for more info.  (I've never tested this much, so I can't
tell you how good a solution this is, but it's there.)

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

chandra@crd.ge.com (Amrit Chandra) (03/16/91)

I have a LocalTalk network running MS Mail/Quick Mail.
This works fine for sending mail among users on this network.

I also have the Cayman's GatorMail/M and GatorMail/Q.
This works fine for sending mail to users on the internet.

What I don't know how to do it to access the MS Mail (or QuickMail)
'post office' from my mac at home.

I'd like to be able to see If I have mail when I'm *NOT* at my
mac in the office.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way?

Thanks.

--Tony Olejnik
  Network Engineer
  University of Pennsylvania
  Data Communications and Computing Services
  3401 Walnut Street
  Suite 221A
  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6228
  (215) 898-9408
  tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu

We use MS Mail and we have a Shiva Telebridge connected to the LTalk
network. So when a remote user wants to access MS Mail all that he/she has
to do is dial in to the Telebridge and get connected to the LTalk. The
user then has access to not only MS Mail but also to TOPS and all other
network services like printing and access to Appleshare etc.  One thing we
learned from this project is that if you do not use a 9600 or higher speed
modem then things go very sloooowly.

Amrit Chandra
Communications Engr. @ GE R&D