[comp.protocols.appletalk] Ethernet-based Color PostScript printer

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (03/03/91)

Our systems people (mainframe) recently installed a QMS ColorScript
printer attached to the ethernet. Users have to FTP their PostScript
to the printer and put it into "PAPER" folder for regular paper and
"TRANS" folder for transparencies. The problem I have is that I
want to be able to use the printer from my Mac II (has an ethernet card).
I have been able to create the PostScript, prepend a modified version
of LaserPrep 70 and have had the PostScript print.

What I REALLY want to do is see the printer in the Chooser, and just
use the PRINT option in my applications. Is there a way to have
the printer show up in Chooser when I switch my Mac II to EtherTalk
from BuiltIn in the Network CDEV?

I have been told by the system people that the FTP path MUST be
maintained for UNIX and mainframe users. So if I can find a "box" that
lets the Mac see the printer and not disrupt the current arrangement,
they would be willing to consider a new configuration.

                     +-----------+
		     | qms color |
		     | PS printer|
		     +-----------+

  ========================================== ethernet ==========

    +--------+
    | mac II | (with ethernet card)
    +--------+

SUMMARY:
Is there a way for my Mac II to see an ethernet based PS printer that
only accepts jobs via FTP? I have an ethernet card on the Mac II,
and want to see the printer in the Chooser.

Louis McDonald
--
Louis McDonald		Internet: louis@aerospace.aero.org
The Aerospace Corporation

john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar3.000023.15970@aero.org> louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M.
McDonald) writes:
>Is there a way for my Mac II to see an ethernet based PS printer that
>only accepts jobs via FTP? I have an ethernet card on the Mac II,
>and want to see the printer in the Chooser.

If you get a solution to this, especially if it allows the hiding of
the printer from unauthorised users and will work with a Linotronic
RIP, please post the details here.

jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar4.233654.16274@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) writes:
>In article <1991Mar3.000023.15970@aero.org> louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M.
>McDonald) writes:
>>Is there a way for my Mac II to see an ethernet based PS printer that
>>only accepts jobs via FTP? I have an ethernet card on the Mac II,
>>and want to see the printer in the Chooser.
>
>If you get a solution to this, especially if it allows the hiding of
>the printer from unauthorised users and will work with a Linotronic
>RIP, please post the details here.

John:

First, are you getting the Desktop Publishing digest ok? When I was
mailing it, every issue bounced...

If you are only accessing your Lino from Macs (or any other system that
can include a chooser name in the file), I have a perfect solution.

We use a Product called NetCounter to keep unauthorized people from
using our L300/RIP 4. NetCounter installs as RIP resident software, and
starts up on its own each time the RIP is rebooted.

With NetCounter, you can either make a list of authorized users, or make
a list of people to barr from using the printer. Unauthorized users get
a message back from the printer to the effect of 'You are not authorized
to use this printer.' NetCounter also keeps a per user accounting log,
listing # of pages per user. Unfortunatly, it doesn't keep track of page
size...

We had a bit of a problem with NetCounter conflicting with RIPMaster
(another piece of RIP resident software), and Herb was very quick to fix
it.

As I recall, RIPMaster cost around $70 USD, and it is licesnsed for all
printers in a zone. Quite a deal!

Here's a blurb Herb (the author) send me...

For controlling access to the LaserWriter(s) you probably want
NetCounter (TM).  This software will allow you to restrict access
to the printers, and it will automatically reload itself (if you
install a patched LaserPrep on all machines).  In addition, it
will keep track of the number of pages printed by each user (but
this count will NOT be saved if the power fails, unless you have
a hard disk on the printer).  Also, it will protect your printer
from the Trojan Horse that changes the password.

NetCounter is distributed by Prism Enterprises (301) 604-6611.

If you have any further questions that Prism can not answer for
you, feel free to contact me.

Disclaimer: I am the author of NetCounter.

Herb Weiner (herbw@wiskit.pdx.com)

Jeff (Just a happy customer)

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax +----------------------+ INET:jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu|

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (03/16/91)

(Louis M.McDonald) writes:

> Is there a way for my Mac II to see an ethernet based PS printer that
> only accepts jobs via FTP? I have an ethernet card on the Mac II,
> and want to see the printer in the Chooser.

In article <1991Mar4.233654.16274@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>
john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) writes:

> If you get a solution to this, especially if it allows the hiding of
> the printer from unauthorised users and will work with a Linotronic
> RIP, please post the details here.

I've developed a set of code and patches to the LaserWriter 6.0 file
that cause printing to be diverted to a TCP/IP connection, unfortunately
using a locally-developed printer drive protocol that has at various
times been called NDQS, MDQS(2), and NPP.  The implementation is similar
to the "Asynchronous LaserWriter" stuff except that instead of the ".SerA"
driver a custom ".NetPrint" driver is used.  This driver uses MacTCP to
open a TCP connection to a server host, and then passes it the print data.
It is roughly equivalent to doing a command-f print then FTPing the data.

I've also developed a print server INIT.  This passively listens on a
well-known TCP port.  When a client connects and opens a print file with
the protocol described above, the server opens a PAP connection to the
printer and passes the data on to the printer.

Both pieces are written in assembly code.  The first piece is somewhat
better debugged than the second at this point.

This is not likely to be a drop-in solution anywhere else but it could
serve as the starting point for further development.