[comp.protocols.appletalk] Problem with Webster Multigate

ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) (03/14/91)

I've just been configuring my second Multigate.  The first one came up
with no problems.  The second is temperamental.  I'm just writing to see
if anyone can tell me if I'm configuring it wrongly before I send it off
to have the hardware fixed.

Symptom (0): the box appears to come up OK but while you're using it all
   the zones and networks disappear.

Symptom (1): whilst doing the hardware check as recommended in the
   manual we are supposed to see a cyclic flashing pattern on the front
   panel lights.  We actually see a rather sporadic and irregular
   pattern.  All the lights are working.  However, when you connect
   MGTalk to it it claims to pass all its selftests and comes up into
   the monitor (2.7) OK.

Symptom (2): After booting from the attached Mac the box seems to work
   for a while and then stops (as (0)).  The one occasion I happen to
   have had MGTalk running when this happens I saw a repeated error
   message saying:

   "Exception 2 at PC = 0x6F14 to ipl=7 from ipl=7
    Supervisor data word read access of addr 0x178C3A. ssw=1105"

As I say, I am keen to find out if this is a configuration problem or
whether we have to send the box away to be fiddled with.

Thanks, as they say, in advance.

Sam Wilson
Network Services, Edinburgh University Computing Service, Scotland, UK

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (03/18/91)

In article <9135@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) writes:
> I've just been configuring my second Multigate.  The first one came up
> with no problems.  The second is temperamental.
>
>    ... The one occasion I happen to
>    have had MGTalk running when this happens I saw a repeated error
>    message saying:
>
>    "Exception 2 at PC = 0x6F14 to ipl=7 from ipl=7
>     Supervisor data word read access of addr 0x178C3A. ssw=1105"

0x178C3A is a legitimate address up near the top of the 1/2Mb of DRAM.
Exception 2 is a 68K Bus Error. This is likely to be a Memory Parity
Error. It may also be that the MultiPort Gateway was damaged in
transit on the way to Scotland, and that is causing it.

MGTalk (Application that runs on a Mac connected to the MPG's Console
port) is just a terminal emulator. Leave it running - connected to the
MPG and see what other error reports (if any) you get.

I've sent more details (on debugging and theory of operation) by
separate mail to Sam Wilson.

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455

wcc@cup.portal.com
2109 O'Toole Avenue, Suite J SAN JOSE CA 95131 - 1303 CALIFORNIA
1-408-954-8054  FAX 1-408-954-1832

wcc-uk@cup.portal.com
Unit 7, Weltech Centre Ridgeway, Welwyn Garden City Herfordshire AL7 2AA
LONDON UK. Ph  44-707-336969  Mobile 44-836-725849  FAX 44-707-373378