[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk with a 3Com server

bold@astroatc.UUCP (Jeff Beck) (03/14/91)

Hi people,

I have never posted to this group before, so please forgive me if I am
not in the right place.  Anyway, here's the problem.

We are trying to get a 3Com system up and running with

1.  An ethernet network
2.  An appletalk network

The 3Com software requires a package called "Netconnect" to allow more than
one network to access the laser printer.  I have installed an Appletalk-PC
card in the 386 PC that is being used for our file server.  I have also
installed the software (2 360K disks) that came with the card.  When
I install 3Com's Netconnect, it tells me that I am missing the following
file which it claims *should* have come with the Appletalk card:

1.  net.cfg
2.  lsl.com
3.  ltalk(p).com
4.  atalk.com

Can anyone out there tell me where these files can be found?  I have called
at least five different Apple dealers in the area and none of them seem
to know what is going on.  The people from Apple don't understand anything
about 3Com, and the people that deal with 3Com software don't understand
anything about Apple.  Well, at least not being able to get them to work
together.

If anyone out there can help, or at least point me in the right direction,
it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.  E-mail replies would be preferable, but I will check this newsgroup
for a while to see if anything turns up.

 * Jason Bold - Madison,WI= [(rutgers||ames)!uwvax||att!nicmad]!astroatc!bold *
 * "A strawberry mind, a body that's built for two" - Michael Hedges          *

todd_strauch@med.umich.edu (03/18/91)

In article <3735@astroatc.UUCP> bold@astroatc.UUCP (Jeff Beck) writes:

>We are trying to get a 3Com system up and running with
>
>1.  An ethernet network
>2.  An appletalk network
>
>The 3Com software requires a package called "Netconnect" to allow more than
>one network to access the laser printer.  I have installed an Appletalk-PC
>card in the 386 PC that is being used for our file server.  I have also
>installed the software (2 360K disks) that came with the card.  When
>I install 3Com's Netconnect, it tells me that I am missing the following
>file which it claims *should* have come with the Appletalk card:
>
>1.  net.cfg
>2.  lsl.com
>3.  ltalk(p).com
>4.  atalk.com
>
>Can anyone out there tell me where these files can be found?  I have called
>at least five different Apple dealers in the area and none of them seem
>to know what is going on.  The people from Apple don't understand anything
>about 3Com, and the people that deal with 3Com software don't understand
>anything about Apple.  Well, at least not being able to get them to work
>together.

>My suggestion is that you find some new Apple dealers to deal with.  LSL.COM,
LTALKP.COM and ATALK.COM are included on the disks that come with the Apple's
AppleShare PC software (Apple part number M0098LL/A).  The NET.CFG file is
created when you install the AppleShare PC software.  Normally, Apple's
LocalTalk PC card and AppleShare PC software are bundled together, however, the
items can be ordered separately.  It sounds like you went this route and
ordered just the LocalTalk PC card.  You'll need to obtain AppleShare PC.

jes@aplcomm (03/21/91)

If you have a CompuServe account, try the 3Com Forum.  It's under the Computers
- Software Forums headings.  3Com Customer Support staff are very involved
in the forum and it's been a great source for technical assistance.--
John E. Soboleski